Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering questions (re: heim joints)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, Jul 17, 2003.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Who all here has used heim joints in there steering? I'm running a 3" ford amr and a 2wd box, with a sky steering arm on a muddytazz machined knuckle. and I'm looking at using heim joints due to the fact I'm running soft 57" fords up front. I know they have a buttload of travel and I want to get full use of the steering. am I thinking the right way to switch to heims or use a TRE equip'd set up??

also if I do use heims, I was just toying with the ones I have here for my anti wrap bar and I came up with this....

what about building brackets off the arms to use a heim joint mounted vertical? so the eye is running front to back instead of top to bottom, this way would insure a full use set up, but then places the stess elsewhere..Hmmm ideas and feedback would be appreciated.

-Jeremy

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

something like this...
    [​IMG]

-Jeremy

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I would check the radial load specs first; I think that what it is called?! What springs are you going to be using in the front? With the TRE's, if you can get them setup flat to begin with, then travel is not an issue. What about using the really big 1" shank TRE's, they have even more travel than the 7/8".

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

i tried using heims on the last steering modification and they bound up evenat ride height. of course i ad no misalignment spacers but i dont think the heims would have held up to the travel( i used a straight draglink and didnt have time or $$ to build another). I'm pretty sure if you build your draglink right use some good quality heims and misalignment spacers it will hold up fine though. I have found PolyPerformance to have quality heims and good prices (and a lot of other cool stuff.)

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I have ford 57's up front. the problem with going to 1" is getting the holes in the arms drilled out that far.

6. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Which holes?

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the steering arm and pitman arm are a 3/4" holt that tapers in to a 5/8" or so, so I was just going to drill them through at the current 3/4" . by taking the pitman arm out to 1" I don't see much meat there.