Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering quickener?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Feb 10, 2005.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

what are the dis advantages to off roading with a steering quickener? I know i found some before, but I seem to have forgotten what they were.:confused:

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there are none. Slow and more precise is far better in the rocks or on the trail. Maybe in desert racing it would be nice for quick correction. But in an all around or trail rig, definetally not. My dad runs one on his circle track car cause they ahve to correct and steer quick through turns. If you found advantages before I'd really like to hear what someone came up with.

3. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

we used a quickener in circle track also. one very big draw back is that if you lose power steering, i.e. a belt or something more serious, it is virtually impossible to steer. Im sure you have steered your truck without power steering before and know how hard is is without a quickener. multiply that by ten...

otherwise they work great. What i would like to have instead of a quickener is a lower ratio steering box. i havent looked for one to bolt right up but if they are available for our application I would go that route. you wouldnt have to cut your colomn.

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i said disadvantages, not advantages, i just threw an extra space in there by accident. ok well you answered my question anyway. Thanks!

5. muscle

muscle 1/2 ton status

i thought that was a disadvantage.... hmm im confused now