Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering quirks

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by kyser_soze, Oct 15, 2005.

1. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I have a 98 k1500 and every once-in-a-while when I am driving down the road the steering wheel just moves while the truck keeps going straight and then returns in the orriginal position.

Any ideas?

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Are you hitting a bump or pothole while this is happening? Also, Check your steering stabilizer. They do funny things when they go bad.

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Yep, I would check all of the steering componets for wear, and take a good look at the idler arm. Also, these trucks have a problem with the speed sensitive steering. When the sensor fails, the steering gets real twitchy cruising down the road.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the ifs fronts eat ball joints and ideler arms and pitman arms. to check the ball joints need to use floor jack under the lower arm and long bar under tire and pry up to check for play.

if speed sening steering there will be a sender on the line from the pump near the pump.