Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering rebuild

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 454k30, Jun 15, 2006.

1. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Does anyone know what the part numbers are for the seals on the power steering gearbox? Mine is losing fluid at a rate unacceptable to me. Also if anyone else has done this rebuild do you have any pics or tips on how to accomplish it? Thanks!

2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

I have an '85 that leaks also (no chit). I looked at the procedure in the factory manual, and convinced myself the leak is not that bad that I can't keep after it with "stop-leak" PS fluid. If it gets serious, I'll replace it with a rebuilt. Looking at the manual, you'll need eye-of-newt, front tooth from a dyke, baby poop straight from the diaper...you get the idea.:haha:

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

reman is much easyer to deal with in my boox.

4. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

not hard to rebuild, but a pita. But for an extra 10$ you can get a pump with the reservoir vs getting the pump and installing it into your existing reservoir.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I put all new seals in mine 3 times. POS never quit leaking. Reman box - problem cured.

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I rebuilt mine when I tapped it for hydro lines. You'll need a dial or lever type torque wrench covering 0 to 20+ in/lb and a very large box wrench for the input lock nut.
    It's not a big job but it is a bit time consuming. If you're not going hydro assist you may well be better off getting a re-man box.
    If you do decide to do it I can give you some photos of what's going on inside with all the ball bearings etc.