Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Reinforcement Project Begins

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by landsmasher, Jul 21, 2002.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Well, I started the Fish Plate steering box frame reinforcement project today. So far it has taken 4 and a half hours, $75 in new tools, two impact wrenches and a whole lot of sweat. And that was just to get the steering box off, and move the break lines and steering fluid lines out of the way and clean the area to be welded. Next step is to V groove the cracks on the frame and weld them. I will be using a new Lincoln 100 welder to do this. First thing I noticed is that the PLates don't fit the frame very well. Going to have to re-drill the holes and bolt the plate up to the frame the way the instructions say to and then beat the crap out of them to fit tight against the frame. Then I can weld it in place. Noticed in the instructions that is says this; "This project is not for the Do-It-Yourselfer. Only use a certified welder to have this done!". /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Screw that! You know what those guys cost?

To be continued...
    /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

2. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I'am with ya brother. I just finished mine I ripped the hell out of the frame but was able to get it back together. The weld in kit won't fit right at first just bolt it up and heat it a little and beat on it to fit flush with the frame. As far an a support brace I just could not see spending $100.00 on one so I made an ORD look alike /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif out of 1/2 steel /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif . Sure hope all goes well sure am glad I'am done. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. landsmasher

I can't put one of those braces on without getting rid of the 8000# PTO winch... The drive shaft for it is in the way.

Words Of Wisdom...
    Make sure you read the instructions at least 3 times before you start.

As you are dismanteling the steering box, make a mark on the steering column to steering box connection. I think it's called something like the soft grommet connection or something like that. But you know what I mean. Then also make a mark between your pitman arm spline, (the one coming out of the steering box) and the box itself. Also tie your steering wheel down so it does'nt get moved out of position during the job.

And I thought about this too... The plates don't exactly fit well out of the box. And the holes don't line up either. If you are going to have to reem out holes, make sure you reem the PLATE holes only and not the FRAME HOLES.... IF you do that the box will not seat properly and you will prolly be doing this again soon.

Till next time.... V Grooving the cracks.....

I think I'm gonna take pics too...

By the way, I'm kinda new at all this nonsence of "It's FUN to go out and break your truck!" stuff... But I'm having a whole lot of fun with it both on the trail and in the garage... Finally started eating lunch without washing my hands. Why bother, with all the stuff you eat while under it? Maybe I shouldn't smile out loud when I'm under there. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Do you talk to your truck when you are under there? Hope I'm not the only one!

4. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Yes we all talk to are trucks sometimes it is nice you know like when you make a hard hill and no one else does. On the other hand when you break the damm thing you just can't think of one good thing to say to it. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif
    Have fun. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

5. landsmasher

I am becoming one with my truck now. I have found out that it talks back. It tells me when it's not feeling well and it also tells me when it is feeling good. Like kids, you have to talk to it but you also have to LISTEN.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. fisher1648

fisher1648 Registered Member

I too just recently finished installing the plates and spent the first evening laying under that bit%$ saying "this is never gonna work". After grinding, pounding, cussing, and sweating for one more night it all came together and worked better than expected.

Take your time and bolt the plates to the frame (in lieu of the steering box) to keep things in line. Patience is definately a virtue for this project.

Good luck, Eric

7. landsmasher

I was fortunate enough to be in on another installation a few months ago. I agreed to help knowing I would have to do the same thing some day. We had a great time doing it and ate burgers off the grill and took it out for a test afterwards. It was great! So I'm not totally in the dark on this one. But still, doing it myself for the first time kinda makes it all worth while...

8. landsmasher

Let's see here... Ya I'll just V Groove the cracks... LOL! Sounds ez don't it? Try getting a grinder in there at wierd angles... ANd the dremmel tool just goes all over the damn place... Runs away with itself... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Use a cutting wheel. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

10. landsmasher

The cracks have been groved and they have been welded. The welds look really good. But the plate doesn't fit well at all. Looks to me like it was made for another vehicle. I'm gonna have to beat the crap out of it to get it to lay flush. ALso going to have to ream out the holes on the plate because they don't line up well... Seems like they could have made this plate a little better... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

11. landsmasher

It's DONE! And I went out and tested it on the hills in my back yard today. Working very well... One thing I found out is that if you bolt the plate in with 4 bolts and use an impact wrench to tighten the plate down before welding,,, you don't have to do any beating at all. And in the end, the holes did line up. So no need for reaming the holes...

Puting everything back together was the frustrating part. But isn't it always?

I'm happy with the outcome... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Now I'd like to know how anyone could hurt themselves this much and like it? LOL!!! We must be a bunch of massochists...

12. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

So i guess we'll see that gigantic front bumper on sunday, huh???? Wooo Hooo, good Job Larry!!!

13. landsmasher

HEY! So my front clip has an overbite... So what? Geesh I used a half O bottle of hydrogen peroxide on my hands today... My truck runnith over...

I think I'm gonna name it "UNDER CONSTRUCTION". What ya think? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif