Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering ? - SFA vs IFS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jersey, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

My K5 steers like a champ - easy to turn, no effort. I just puchased a 90 K2500 with IFS (i know) and the thing is hard to turn compared to my K5? Is this normal for IFS systems? I've done the wheel bearings (full hubs), bushings, ball joints, adjusted the allen on the box and nothing has helped so i just got it aligned figuring that would solve it, no good. still that same tightness. It's not super hard, just considerably more than my K. Steering box? Power steering pump? Oh yeah, it's got a 6" trailmaster sus lift and 35x12.50 MT/R's. Any ideas or is this just the way these IFS systems are? Thanks in advance.

- Jersey

2. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    My 90 GMC 1/2 ton is harder to steer than an old SFA truck. I've noticed that the wheel on an old chevy is easier to spin than mine is, especially when the truck isn't moving.

3. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

just thought of another thing - my wifes 92 burb with IFS steers (pretty) easy also. Not like my K5 but definetly easier than my K2500.

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Is the burb lifted? I know my truck is very hard to turn the tires when your not moving with the 33's on it... I'm guessing that the steering system would have an easier time turning stock tires over your 35's

5. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

nope, burb is stock. i have 35's on my K5 ans on the K2500. Doesn't matter - moving, not moving, front end off the ground - the K2500 with IFS is just harder to turn. I'm sure the steering system would have an easier time with stock tires but why wouldn't i notice it on my K5 with SFA? Guess i'm just trying to figure out if this is how a IFS w/a 6" susp lift is or could it be possibly something else, like the pump or box. Thanks for the replies and help Calclips.

- Jersey

6. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Not a problem, just sitting at work with nothing much to do /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . I'm just giving you thoughts/observations about my IFS with 33's.

7. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Oh, I just thought about this... did you try and ask the guys in the IFS forum? They might have a little more technical expertise than I have about the steering setup on an IFS truck.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd say it's inherant of the steering system. It just has many more parts (specifically the idler arm). SFAs has much fewer parts ot be moving than the IFS system.

9. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I thought Chevy changed pumps and steering gear boxes in the early nineties, cause people wanted more "Road Feel" in their steering, the older eighties models don't have much at all, while the later models have more steering feedback.

10. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

You are exactly right about the road feel thing.I believe they changed the ratio's in the box to give less mechanical advantage so you"feel" the road more........

11. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

I'd bet anything thats true. In my truck you can feel the road push the wheel arround alot, where in a SFA truck the wheel feels totally different.