Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Shaft...NEED HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crazylarry74, May 16, 2001.

1. crazylarry74

crazylarry74 Registered Member

Alright, I was getting into my steering column to fix my turn signal and when I was done I was trying to put the plate back on and put the c-ring into the grove on the shaft and I ended up stripping the shaft. If anyone could tell me how to remove the shaft your help would be greatly appreciated. It is a 74' k5 with tilt steering and I just can't get it out. Chilton's says nothing on how to go about installing a new one. Thanks for your assistance.
    Crazylarry

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Since it's tilt, maybe you could pop out a u-joint and just swap out the upper half. Have you opened the sides of the rest of the column to see how the shaft is held in place? It may be easy as pie. I would be wary of it, though. Between the bearings, the ignition lock, and all the other stuff in there, it might be a career to put back together. Have you looked into a junkyard column? That might be your Safest bet... What exactly is stripped? The threads for the nut? Have you tried to re-thread them? Might save a lot of time and pain if that can be done.

Ratch
    **Hmmm. Land or Mall? Land or Mall? Let's see. Lotsa SUV's around here... Let's build a mall.**

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You've got to dig really deep into the column. Go buy a Haynes if you need pictures, but here are written instructions http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen