Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering shaft removal question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zepplin, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I already have the steering column out. I am replacing it with a tilt model. Anyway, I still have the steering box bolted on the frame and I have the steering shaft that was connected to the column still connected.

I noticed there is a bolt and nut with clamp looking thing on the end holding it to the steering box input shaft. I loosened the bolt but I couldn't get the shaft to slide off.

Is it just rusted on there from old age or would I need a 3 jaw puller of something to separate the two?

Thanks,

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If it's a true clamp (can't remember) you could probably also remove the nut/bolt and spread the clamp enough for easier removal.

removed other stuff in case the bolt does ride in a groove...

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You have to take the bolt ALL THE WAY OUT. There is a grove in the splined shaft that the bolt rides in.

4. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

What Triaged said. If it does turn out to be frozen, just take apart the rag joint.

Pete

5. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I only loosened the clamp and pryed on it for a little bit and then gave up. I will take the bolt out this weekend and see how frozen it is.

Thanks again!