Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering shaft replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grimjaw, Apr 24, 2005.

1. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I have read the Steering Shaft replacement tech article. I am looking at replacing the piece of junk rag joint and shaft on my truck. I am not sure what year Cherokee to rob the shaft from. Does any one know if a steering shaft from a Jeep Cherokee 1984-1994 w/power steering would work? This is a picture I found online.

[​IMG]

Please save me from buying a Flaming River or Borgeson shaft. Thanks.

2. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

^That's the shaft I used. I think it was from a 93 cherokee. I had to do a little bit of grinding where it attached to the chevy steering column, and after the shaft was on, I had to run a drill bit through the clamp bolt hole to make clearance for the bolt. The steering box end bolted right up. I have a tilt column that the PO swapped in, I beleive there is a run of years for the Chevy columns where no mod is necessary bolt up to the column end.

3. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the reply. I had PMed Bowtie also and he said the same thing, so it looks like I am golden.

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

just wondering, are you fellas doing this for an improved steering feel? or just to get rid of the rag joint? how much of a difference does it make? [/end hijack]

5. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

I am looking at this to get rid of the piece of junk rag joint. My has way to much play in it. The rag joint is very poor engineering in my humble opinion. I forsee better steering, but most of that is do to dumping my rag joint. I can turn my steering wheel from 12 o'clock to 11 or 1 with out turning the wheels.

I look at this alot like better brakes or roll cages. We spend a lot of time and money making our trucks stronger and more able. I think its reasonable to try and make them safer and reliable. I have 6000 lbs of steel, it would be nice to be able to control where it goes.

6. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I just went with a Borgeson unit. Very stout and easy to swap in.

7. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Summit has the Borgeson 935 for $188. That is the best price I found. The Cherokee is just alot cheaper. I MAY still do the Borgeson...