Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering shaft seal?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kookydoright, Nov 7, 2005.

1. kookydoright

kookydoright Registered Member

probally a stupid question but, how do you get the steering shaft off so you can get to the ragjoint and the seal?

80 swb, 50, 700r4,208,10/12blt

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about the steering shaft between the gear box and steering column?

If you are, then loosen and remove the two bots on both ends of the shaft. Gently keep jerking and prying the shaft to collapse the teloscopic portion of the shaft (that is there in the event of a crash, you dont eat your steering wheel). Eventually it will come off. The end by the gear box is splined, and the end on the column is oval(ish).

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

two bolts. they are different sizes. you'll see them on the rag joint. it falls outta the way. then there is a 1/2 inch bolt holding the rag joint on. after i loosened mine i tapped it off with a pickle fork.then the fun begins after the snap ring and the top seal you get to get out the inner seal, not to hard but it takes patience.