Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering shaft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, Jun 30, 2001.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Got body lift on 2" plus new poly bushings. The stock bushings were much worse than apparent. Most bolts rusted to the point of fragile. Question now is steering shaft. It now appears too short. I am going to jump into it tomorrow, but wanted to know if anyone has had this problem and fixed it without purchasing a new shaft (flamin river more thna likely). I wouldn't mind a new shaft, but want to wait until I have the cash for a rock ram set up. It does look like it slipped some in lengh, but now looks maxed out. I could weld a section in, but wondering if anyone has had bad luck with this. Do really want to have to worry about steering as I am driving. By the way, the more I work on my K5, the more convinced I am tthat if someone says it takes one day, it will take two and LOL, and LOYAC

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

2. jamiemac

jamiemac 1/2 ton status

Here is some pics of some fabs my brother built for our K5's. None of this stuff was ordered. He can custom build any of this stuff for you. He made a really cool steering shaft and deleted the wrag joint. Here's a link to some pics.http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1721641

Sorry try this link:

<a href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1721641&a=13235753>See my photos of K5 Fabrications at PhotoPoint</a>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jamiemac on 06/30/01 08:49 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How much would your brother charge for one of those?

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I recently had the same problem, after installing the 3" body lift. There are (were) two rivets in my steering shaft. If you drill out the rivets, seperate the two pieces and grind them clean, the shaft will then "slide" within itself and allow for plently of slack to adjust for the difference in your 2" lift.

Let me know if this works for you! I just had mine done at a local shop because I didn't know this trick at the time! Cost me $30 to learn this one, so get out there and take advantage of my hard-earned $30 - before you drop +$200 on a new shaft!

<font color=red> Check out my truck @ </font color=red>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm>http://24.10.209.54/bigolk5.htm</A> [​IMG]

5. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Yea, that is exactly what I did and then modified a nylon bolt with grinder to go in the hole I drilled out. I am hoping that this will break if ever in a front end collision and steering column is designed to collaspe, if not I'll be eating some steering wheel. No really, I decided to do it as a temporary fix until I get a Rock Ram set-up. I had her out tonight and all worked well.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

6. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Jamiemac I sent you a private E mail