Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering shafts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hammermachine, Nov 6, 2006.

1. hammermachine

hammermachine 1/2 ton status

What is a good replacement steering shaft for my K5? I've seen the one in LMC but is there something better. I've got a catalog from 4wheeldrive and it has several jeep heavy duty steering shafts could I use one of those and can a layman install one?

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

all depends on how nuch you want to spend. some guys use xj shafts. I peiced one together using flaming river joints and a shaft one of my friends had. I can get you the shaft. the joints are on you.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

4. hammermachine

shafts...LOL

So these steering shafts just screw into place? An a XJ works just fine? These are better than OEM or LMC replacements. That's pretty cool.

5. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i have a buddy make his own stering shaft with two little u-joints on each end and a short piece of shaft. the little ujoints came out of caprice classic police cars. it looks factory! he's got a 54 chevy car on a 78 firebird frame and had to make his own shaft , he was going with flaming river joint, until he found the police cars had the same joints in them. but only one per car, he found a second police car about 30 min later in the same yard and got the one out of it so he had the parts needed to make his steering shaft, that looks like a z straightened out, more of a zig-zag. i don't know if it was the police cars or if all caprice have them,worth a look tho if you need those type of joints.

6. hammermachine

Borgeson shafts

I went to the borgeson website and they offer improved gm shafts that are better than stock for just as much as the jeep or LMC replacements. I might go that direction since they are already made for gm trucks. [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1973-94 Full Size Pickups

[​IMG]Over time and when used in applications such as towing, plowing, and off-roading, truck steering components will wear out. Although factory steering shafts for many model years are no longer available from General Motors, your worn out steering intermediate shafts can now be replaced with the heavy-duty Borgeson direct bolt in replacement assembly. Using common hand tools, these replacement assemblies can be installed in about a half hour. Consisting of a precision needle bearing u-joint, telescoping shaft, and a rag joint disc, this assembly will fix that wandering, loose steering once and for all.
    Extreme duty shafts, part numbers 932, 933 and 935 below offer 1973-1994 GM truck owners the option of eliminating the rag joint at the steering box and replacing it with a second box and replacing it with a second universal joint. The rag joint flange must be removable and not permanently mounted to the steering box spline.
    [​IMG]
    1999-05 Full Size Pickups
    The 1999 through 2005 model Chevy trucks are known to develop a distinct "clunk" in the steering. They can also have a "ratchet" feel at low speeds. Borgeson has developed a replacement steering shaft to eliminate these symptoms and upgrade the steering to our zero play needle bearing universal joint. The assembly is also available with our vibration reducer to damp road vibration.

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG] don't bother with this one. you want to eliminate the rag joint.

8. hammermachine

Yeah

Yeah I would get the same thing I have installed, especially the way the rag bends up from use. No I was thinking about the other ones. They just screw in? I thought it would be more complicated :doah: than that.