Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering shafts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by slider, Dec 4, 2001.

1. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Ok I have had it with the stupid A$$ rag joint on my steering shaft. Has anyone ever cut off the rag joint and and welded on a u joint? How many splines does a stock steering box have? 1980 GMC Jimmy. Has anyone useued a aftermarket steering shaft like Borgeson? I am open to all suggestions. My Jimmy has a body lift and I know people hate them and this is causing my problem but it will stay on the rig.

2. 79k20

79k20 1/2 ton status

I have a Borgeson shaft on my truck with a 3" body lift. It cured the loose feeling in my steering.

<font color=red>Sean<font color=red>

[​IMG]<font color=red>79 k20(duh) d44, 14bolt, built 350,350,np203,9"lift</font color=red>[​IMG]

3. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Do you know how many splines are on the universal on the bottom end of the Borgeson shaft? I see where their are companies that just sell that joint. I am sure I can weld it on. Do you rember what you paid for that shaft?

4. 79k20

79k20 1/2 ton status

I don't know how many splines are on it. I bought it used from a guy that wrecked his truck and was parting it out. I think he said he paid $200-250 for it. I'm not sure, but I know it was expensive.

<font color=red>Sean<font color=red>

[​IMG]<font color=red>79 k20(duh) d44, 14bolt, built 350,350,np203,9"lift</font color=red>[​IMG]

5. mudgrip

mudgrip Registered Member

Spicer makes PTO u-joints that are very strong. You can order them from a driveline shop. Just measure the diameter of the shaft and spline count on your steering box. You can see a picture of them here www.jeepster.org/steering

6. mudgrip

mudgrip Registered Member

Spicer makes PTO u-joints that are very strong. You can order them from a driveline shop. Just measure the diameter of the shaft and spline count on your steering box. You can see a picture of them here www.jeepster.org/steering.htm. I have used them on the box side on a couple of jeeps.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just some food for thought, may work on trucks, since it is the same steering shaft setup.

&gt; &gt; I'd like to take all the slop out of my steering system. According to
    &gt; &gt; Mullins Steering gears rag joints are only to dampen vibration and
    &gt; &gt; resonant PS noise. They can only join two shafts that are dead
    &gt; &gt; straight in line. They sure don't look straight. Doesn't the rag joint
    &gt; &gt; allow for a slight angle between the shafts? If not then I guess the
    &gt; &gt; shafts can be joined with a straight tube or just a U-joint. The
    &gt; &gt; shafts are 3/4" with 30 splines right...or is it 36? I'm looking for a
    &gt; &gt; quick and easy way to eliminate the play which is very excessive in my
    &gt; &gt; rag joint, preferably by just replacing it with a more rigid piece.

--------------------------------------------------
    I have been messing with the steering of the Monte again. I have always
    hated the slop provided by the "rag joint" in the steering shaft. I couldn't
    come up with a way to replace it, short of buying a complete shaft with
    U-joints from an aftermarket company.

The other day, XXXXXX and I were looking in a local junkyard for a shaft
    for his '70 Monte Carlo. We walked by an Astro van with the front mostly
    removed off of it. Those vehicles use a shaft with two U-joints (one with a
    damper built in). I grabbed the shaft for $25 (too much!). I didn't realize
    at the time, but I already had a picture of the shaft (from a van) that XXXXXX sent to me. Look here, it is the bottom shaft in the pic:

www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

A coulple yrs ago I bout a Borgsen shaft for like 170 or someting. I love it. I do feel more vibs on my steering wheel and if I wanted to dump another 65 or so I could add an inline dampner but the vib isn't really an issue for me.
    Sorry don't recall the spline size or count, I'm sure Borgsen can tell you what your rig cam stock with.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>

9. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?