Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering shifted?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ssped, Aug 18, 2006.

1. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I found a legal but very little known trail today. It was Ideal Blazer territory. It would have been great to see a Heep try and follow me. I think it would have dissapeared in the rut I was barely stradling. anyways it was super nasty and as I was dropping into a very steep down hill rut my steering bound. after getting off the trail my steering wheel is no longer straight. Does anyone make a torsion bar/track rod to keep the axle in line?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Your draglink probably skipped a few threads. Just readjust the draglink so the wheel is straight and you should be good to go.

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Hopefully the pitman arm is still secure on the sector shaft.

4. ssped

I am going to look at it today. I think the axle shifted a bit on the spring perch or something to that accord. I had loosened and replace the shims in the front with steel ones so It might be settling in place.

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I think you may be onto something. If so, you probably don't have much of a center pin left.

6. ssped

Nope no shifting. I had tried to weld the shim in place and the shim is of course Galvinized. although it didnt take the weld it marked it so I could tell she didnt move. It must have just settled in place.

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Did you try to weld it to the spring perch of the axle? Cause I wouldn't think that that's where it would shift. I had some loose u-bolts once, and the force of my old front-to-back push/pull steering sheared my center pin and shifted my axle. But, the center pin sheared between the 2nd and 3rd leaf, so you couldn't tell it had shifted. It was actually the leaves of the spring that were sliding past each other, the axle appeared to still be in place; it was not. Check your u-bolts for tightness either way, that's always a good practice after having them off.

8. ssped

Did that all ready. New springs, steel shims, new ubolts(they did not budge with a good size breaker bar on them so very tight) I checked it all. I am marking it up to settling. I was flexing it really good and I did recently have it all apart. I had to adjust it after replacing the shims and I just had to adjust it back to where is was before so.