Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Shock

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Nov 15, 2004.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My K5's steering is pretty loose, i know its not ball joints and all that fun stuff, my dad's saying its most likely my steering stablizer shock, could that be it? The truck tends to just like to drift back and forth if your not used to how it steers as well. Im hoping its that cuz it seems like a quick fix. thanks Mike

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

A bad steering stabalizer won't give you loose steering, but it you would notice some bumpsteer. Bad balljoints wouldn't do it either, you'd notice some front end vibrations and popping noises while turning. I'd check for bad tie rod ends, drag link ends or a cracked frame around the steering box. While you're underneath the truck have someone inside turn the wheel and see where the play is at. While your checking things out jack the front up one side at a time and see if there's any play in the wheel up and down (ball joints) or side to side (bearings).

3. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

Also be sure to check the steering box for play as well. This is easily adjustable. Post back if this is the problem for instructions.

4. 84blazin

84blazin 1/2 ton status

I have the same problem.. I just got the drag links replaced. It drove better but then I took a dirt road to avoid traffic and now its almost back to guess which way does the beast want to go now...