Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Slop/Axle Swap/ORD shackle vs blocks

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bluecollarjock, Mar 23, 2007.

1. bluecollarjock

bluecollarjock 1/2 ton status

86 K5, 8" lift, springs up front add a leaves and blocks in rear. Stock 10 bolt 3.73 right now. Picking up some 4.10s, 6 lug Dana 44 front and 12 bolt rear. Should be in good enough condition to bolt in. Also getting a 4" shackle flip. For the swap what other items might i need, and should I order 2" blocks somewhere to keep the rear level? I assume the add a leaves are 2" lift and 6" lift from the blocks. I was looking for 3/4 rears, but since I found 6 lugs with 4.10 and can keep my fancy rims, Im going for it.

Right now got the truck running good finally, even with the 3.73s right now it seems okay on the street and has some get up and go, before it was a dog, thought they were 3.08 but it turns out the carb needed tuning bad and some other minor engine issues.

Steering is HORRENDOUS, it has the extended arm, but the wheel still turns sloppily like I am driving a dang boat! Has tons of play in it. Is there a simple way to tighten it up that I should invest in when I put on the Dana 44 front? Brakes are sloppy too, going to bleed them this week, but not going to put too much work into them since Ill be getting new axles and will see what shape those brakes are in.

Any other suggestions to make the axle swap and shackle flip go smoothly? New blocks, I assume new U bolts, and that should be it? Dont know if the u joints are the same. Should have some friends who are in the know helping with the swap....

Thanks!!!

100_0038.JPG

100_0034.JPG

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

U joints should not be the same.
    The 10 bolts use 1330 ujoints and the D44/12b use the 1310 ujoints.
    You could change the yokes but the seal is a different size and you will need to mess with crush sleeves so easier to get a conversion Ujoint.

3. bluecollarjock

bluecollarjock 1/2 ton status

thanks appreciate it!!!!! any more advice or suggestions Im all ears.