Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Stabalizer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Loose Nut, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

I have a 91 gmc jimmy, 6 inchs lift, d60/14b set up with ORD Highsteer, i am considering setting up somekind of stabalizer, any suggestions? The local shop wants to adapt a fort f-350 setup to my truck but that they will need to drill holes in my frame and thats a hell no, at least a hell no from them. i dont trust them enough to do any work, let alone that.

so what are my options?

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just go hydro assist.

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Judging by your sig file you are at the point where a assist ram is one of the next logical steps.

4. Chaddy

:haha: Its been sitting in a box for awhile now......I am waiting for winter to put it on cuz Im changing everything.

5. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Another vote for hydro assist :waytogo:

6. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

so hydro assist will stop my wobble at 30mph to 35mph? :)

before you say anything, allignment is good, most of my front end is new.

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

steering stabiliziers just mask the problem. painting over rust is the same thing. the problem will arise again when either the stabilizer wears out or whatever is causing the wobble gets worse.

The problem with fixing it is every little thing has an effect. Make sure everything is tight. tires are balanced. My wobble went away when I took the shim out and set the kingpin angle back to stock. it's harder on the front u-joint but its doesn't shake.

8. Loose Nut

Loose Nut Banned

i dont have a shim, everything's new and tight, and no one will balance my 38's. I have 14 ounce's of dynabead and that didnt help any either. Got rid of the vibe but now i have a very bad wobble at 30mph and stops at 35mph.

im pulling the front apart tommorow and making sure everything's tight, other then that im at a loss and i want to drive this to the trail, however at this current time its not drivable. its pissing me off.

9. Chaddy

If its death wobble on a 60 then put new springs and bushings in there and add 2 fender washers per side and you WILL be good to go.

10. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

get a complete kingpin rebuild kit. there is a link on here in another thread to a really in depth rebuild with good pictures.

11. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 1.5" tierod with a steering stabalizer tierod end that allowed me to use the stock stabalizer mount on the 60. However I don't think it would be worth it to ship.

12. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Hydro assist WILL fix any death wobble you have.

13. 2Dogs

It will not fix the underlying problem.... In fact I can still feel a bit of DW with my 1.5" ram setup.

I know you meant to say that hydro assist will make driving with DW much more pleasant/manageable (as does a stabalizer to a lesser degree).

Do not totally ignore symptoms such as DW as your front end might need some TLC like mentioned above.

14. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

I have a similar issue, so I'm going to hijack your thread for a moment.....Sorry.

I too am battling deathwobble. The frame is braced (weld-on and bolt-on), the steering is 100% new and tight (ORD crossover and homemade solid tie rod), the toe is as close as its going to get with a tape (within 1/8 to 1/4 in), and the kingpins are in good shape and shimmed. I'm running unbalanced 39.5 bias TSLs on home recentered H1's. Needless to say, the tires/wheels are the most likely source of my DW, but there's no point in balancing them and the wheels are close enough to true for that particular tire combo (they rode like crap on normal wheels and they still do, judging by my military experience they are at least as straight as they were before recentering). I figure a stabilizer won't quite remedy (band-aid) the issue at hand. Hydraulic assist is the next logical move....right?

Hijack off.

15. 2Dogs

Get Chaddy to explain his above suggestion - I have not heard about it and am also curious. Sounds like there are cases of springs wobbling in the bushings.... :confused:

There are also lots more threads around on possible causes of DW (not many true fixes). There was a great discussion with the ORD guys IRCC.

But to answer your question - the hydro assist will do most to mask/stop DW for you if you do not plan on anymore problem determination with your steering setup.

16. Chaddy

What happens is this, The springs get compressed over time and abuse so they dont hold the cone bushing properly on the king pin so when hit a small bump, the spring and bushing move around and create DW. If you get a new spring and bushing kit which are around $16 bucks, go to home depot and get 4 fender washers which are a 16th thick and an 8th of an inch for preload is perfect so you put 2 fender washers under each cap, tighten everything down and you will be good to go. Usually you only do the fender washer trick if you run bigger than stock tires.