Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering stabilizer limiting steering radius...alot!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camarossguy2, Dec 20, 2006.

1. camarossguy2

camarossguy2 1/2 ton status

My truck used to have a turing radius of of approx 74':eek1:. It had horrible suspension geometry with a 8'' lift and 38'' tires.

So i broke down and did cross over steering. :rolleyes:
    WOW...i will get to that later tho:D

Any way, while setting the draglink ends i noticed that the knucles were not hitting there stops by about 3/4 of an inch each. I removed my wonderfull procomp explorer steering stabilizer (or dampener ) and Tuh-duh....the knucles nailed there stops.

I'd estimate that it gave me and extra 20+ degrees more steering each way.

I took the truck for a test drive and wow... i can turn my blazer around in a standard neighborhood steet!!. Before i couldn't even turn it around in a large cul-desac!!

Has anyone had this problem with there steering stabilizer as well? If not, and your knucles hit there stops...what brand and part number stabilizer do you have??

Thanks

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

How much stroke does the stabilizer have? The stops may not be iout far enough. Being able to trun to tight could eat up some u joints real quick....

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Btw, something with 8" of stroke should be efficent...

4. camarossguy2

camarossguy2 1/2 ton status

My wife thinks so to:laugh:

kidding

The knucle stops are factory....one know is original to my truck and the other one is from a junk yard and the stops are the same length and look like they have never been adjusted.

The stabilizer has about 8.5'' of stroke....hmm. Maybe somethign was binding?

5. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Take a measurement between the stabalizer mounts with wheels turned full lock to the right, then to the left and you will have the numbers you need. Then just locate the right shock.