Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering stabilizer?...........on a 2WD?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by llegos, Jul 18, 2005.

1. llegos

llegos Registered Member

As you may or may not know, i bought a 1969 GMC 2WD C15 on friday, and when i went to change the oil on her on saturday, i noticed that there was a steering stabilizer on there....I did not think much of it at the time, but now wwhen i think of that, it doesnt sound right...I talked to a friend and he said sometimes the cheaper shops(I.E. jiffy lube and such) would put them on as a cheap fix, but i am not sure. The steering is great, and there is no play in the wheel or anything.

My questions are as fallows...

Did 2WD come with these stock?
    What reason would you put this on if its not stock?
    Should I leave it on? take it off?

2. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

i had a small collection of 67-72 gm trucks and blazers when i was 17-22 (parts trucks mostly) but i noticed some of the gmc 2wd's had stablizers but none of the chevys did also i noticed GMC's usualy had more options in diffent trim packages i had a CST chevy with AC buckets console ext
    and also a GMC c15 that had all that plus tilt wheel and it had the plain trim package both trucks im sure was original after owning alot of them its realy weird what options was on differnt trucks usualy you think if they didnt have a trim package such as cheyanne they wouldnt have any options but that isnt always so. By the way the cheyanne CST package was supposedly top of the line chevy offering i always found it weird cheyanne went from top trim package to base trim package in a matter of a few years kinda like my 90 chev was a silverado (top trim package) now the new ones are all labeld silverado

Balzer

3. llegos

llegos Registered Member

alright thanks. It seems to me that this truck has been taken care of real good, so i didnt expect this to be a cheap repair.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Aftermarket..

I've never seen a pre-72 GM truck 2wd with a factory steering stabilizer--not saying there is no such thing,just that I havent seen one... :rolleyes:

But you can buy one for most any 2wd vehicle from Monroe,Moog,Heco,and many other manufacturers...even Vans and "step vans" have them listed.. :eek1:

I think they do little or nothing to help a 2wd truck--I've never had "kickback" on a 2wd truck with stock tires and rims...but I was tempted to buy one for my van when I put 8" rallye wheels on all 4's..the front tires will shimmy if you hit a pothole while going around a corner without one..but the van has 180,000 miles and only the lower ball joints have ever been replaced!--so it might just be normal wear..the stabilizer will help "mask" some front end problems,but curing them is a better answer..they are great for huge tires on a 4X4,but on a 2wd I dont think its a must have... :crazy:

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yes they were an option

seen a couple so far

really uncommon if not rare though

and im like 99% sure it was dealer only thing, as its not listed in original chevy truck options specifications books sheets for any of the 67-72 model years

can help control steering if have large/wide tires, etc

good luck