Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering stabilizer -- run it or nay?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Apr 12, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I just did the 8-lug swap up front to match my new 14BFF in back, and it was easier to drop in a matching-geared 10-bolt than to switch the outers and re-gear my Dana 44. (Thanks Iceman!)

The new axle, though, doesn't have a steering stabilizer, and my D-44 was so greasy I was too lazy to pull the old one off yet.

Doesn't seem to drive any worse; in fact, it drives better, seems like. I do not that my front springs are Ranchos and are STIFF (but hey, they were free -- thanks Desert Rat!)

So, should I ... switch the old stabilizer onto this axle? Get a new one? Or run without?

-- A

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if you're not having any probs, leave it off. Steering stabs basically just "cover up" various steering issues.. if you're not having any, you don't need it.

j

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

just leave it off for now, however if u feel the need to put one on, then just buy a new one, they are dirt cheap at advance auto parts or sumthin

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I had a good thread going with a poll until all the polls were deleted. But you can see by the posts that the overwhelming favorite was NO.

Clicky --->Swaybar thread

EDIT: Hell, never mind. I just realized I can't read. I was thinking "sway bar" not "steering stabilizer".

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

ill keep my duals until a hydro assist goes on.... :crazy:

6. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i like mine. drove without before, squirrly at freeway speeds and "spirited" driving. if yours feels uneasy then just buy a new one. ya they can cover up steering problems to an extent, but they also stabilize the steering when there's no problems, which is why they are there.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have run without a steering stabilizer for 3 years with no problems. I have run this setup with a few different setups including stock steering with 2.5" springs, raised steering arm with 2.5" springs, raised steering arm with 4" springs, and crossover steering with 4" springs. I have had no problems with any of them.

Stabilizers just cover up steering problems like Jek mentioned. If your steering needs a stabilizer then you need to look at your steering and find out why. Spend the money from the stabilizer cost to fix the real problems.

Harley

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm running 40s and crossover with 56" springs and no steering stabilizer. Haven't had an issue as of yet but I only have like 35 road miles on it and about 10 of them have been over 45mph.

9. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

havn't had one on my d.d. for almost a year now

10. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

when I went 3/4ton I just ran with out one for a month or so with out one because I had no problems and drove fine, But i just HAD to have one so I bought a dual set up and saw no differance just looks cool :D

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If it drives okay for you, don't worry about it. If it gets squirly, slap a new one on it.

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The only thing I wonder about in running w/o one is if vibes you can't feel (there is a gear system btwn you and them) are working the pitman shaft bushes harder than if you had one.