Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering stabilizer shock dampner and street driving ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Dec 26, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

do you even need to have steering stabilizer dampner with street driven rig that is all stock original ?? i have read that the stabilizer just keeps wheel from turning back and forth under harsh offroading conditions, in which i dont even do at all, the very worst that it can see around here in this region is flat sloppy mud, and thats it,

do i even need one ? i cant find proper tapered/threaded end mounting stud for the end of the stabilizer that bolts to driver side TRE 81-up k10 k20 trucks, it is freaking impossible........ so i give up trying to find one,.

the factory stud for TRE end of stabilizer 81-up are riveted part of the shock, if you remove it then it will ruin it and render it unuseable, but the only way to get replacement is to buy entire shock from store cuz they cant get the stupid thing separately, i already have a new shock, but i didnt buy it from the store i got it from a member but he had it mounted to 80-older truck that just simply used normal bolts on both ends in which 81-up did not except at axle tube end of the shock

so therefore i have no way to mount a replacement stabilizer to my truck at all...

so that is why i have to make sure that i dont absolutely HAVE to have one on it ? it is 95% street driven rig,.

and only the stock original 81-87 4x4 guys will know what this tapered hole in driver side TRE for end of stab shock is all about, the 80-older guys have totally different TRE setup, and 73-76 were different again,a nd then 67-72 different once more again, GM seems to never have known exactly how they wanted to go about mounting these stupid things, they finally figured it out in 81 it looks like all way through 87 at least... was about time.... but its a sepcial frickin retarded tapered end stud that they dont even sell separately...... i wish i could find someone who bought one for use on an 80-older axle and has no use for it, cuz i sure as hell need one bad......

thanks

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If you run 31s and up you should be running a stabilizer. Bigger tires are tough on front end parts- the stabilizer keeps the front end a little tighter and slows down wear and tear on your steering components.

You should be able to find someone on this site who has a spare tapered bolt lying around in the garage. Heck, a few of our members work in parts stores and may be able to help you up. Don't give up on account of a bolt, brother!!!

3. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

It’s going to be up to you as far as what you are comfortable with on the road. I ran my Jimmy about a week without a damper running 38's and it was "drivable", but I wouldn't recommend it. If it were me I would run one regardless of tire size.
    I remember having trouble with the tapered stud on mine as well. I can't remember exactly, but I think I wound up using an old shock mount bushing sleeve and a regular bolt (since it’s just a dampener and not a tie rod or ball joint).

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

but I think I wound up using an old shock mount bushing sleeve and a regular bolt (since it’s just a dampener and not a tie rod or ball joint).

[/ QUOTE ]

sleeve ? huh ?

for a tapered stem and hole ?

where does this exist ? pic ?

thanks

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

This is what I'd do, I can't give you mine from the stock stabilizer because, alas, it's riveted on.
    Buy some J&B Cold Weld and fill the tapered hole with it all the way. Drill through the hole with the correct bit size for the bolt you'll be using and, Voila! That should hold up just fine.
    For the stabilizer, mine was SHOT on 31's and all I noticed was some wandering over bumps and going through puddles made the wheel turn quickly. My 36's required a dual stabilizer kit because they're a tad out-of-round. Try without on a slow drive around the block. If you get a death wobble, you're going to need one.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    This is what I'd do, I can't give you mine from the stock stabilizer because, alas, it's riveted on.
    Buy some J&B Cold Weld and fill the tapered hole with it all the way. Drill through the hole with the correct bit size for the bolt you'll be using and, Voila! That should hold up just fine.
    For the stabilizer, mine was SHOT on 31's and all I noticed was some wandering over bumps and going through puddles made the wheel turn quickly. My 36's required a dual stabilizer kit because they're a tad out-of-round. Try without on a slow drive around the block. If you get a death wobble, you're going to need one.

[/ QUOTE ]

well in that case why couldnt i just weld it shut ? but damn it would be a pain to drill new hole though...

i dunno...

why did GM have to go and turn crappy even more in the 80s with design of parts, didnt they change the steering rods and steering dampner ends designs enough freaking times since '72 ?

damn...

thanks