Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering stabilizer too long?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tx79k10, Jul 6, 2006.

1. tx79k10

tx79k10 Registered Member

So I go to install my new stabilizer and it seems to have too much travel. When I bought the truck the steering gear box was wasted and leaking badly, so it was replaced and the used one i bought installed without ony problems. Also my steering wheel was off and I only had about 1.5 turn to the right.

Last night when I took the old Gabriel stbilizer off and went to install the new one, I noticed that it seemed too long. Maybe this was what caused the old box to go bad?

Now that the stabilizer is off the truck completly the steering wheel is is no longer clocked to the right and it seems like the small leak in my PSP went away. I called four wheel parts and they showed that the stablizer they shipped was the right part number for my truck. My truck is a '79 but I think the axles may have been replaced at some time. I have the D44 and 12 bolt.

So should I just leave the stablizer off, or do I need to install it and adjust the drag link to compensate for the stab being too long, or is there possibly another issue I am overlooking?? The truck seems to drive fine without the stab. on, but I have not had it over 40 mph. Is there any difference between a stab. for a '73 and a '79? Any advice?? Thanks:confused:

2. tx79k10

tx79k10 Registered Member

Do I need to get the steering wheel/box/drag link adjusted first and then try to re-install the stabilizer? Does anybody have a pic of their factory stabilizer I could see? I am going to take the drag link off and get the steering wheel lined up and then try to get the stab back on..any thoughts? Thanks