Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering stabilizer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ron, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Ron

Ron Registered Member

I have a couple of extra Rancho 5000 s. If one is the right length can I use it as a steering stabilizer? Also are they good for preventing axle wrap of the rear end? Please let me know the pros and cons. Thanks Ron

2. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

I think Rancho 5000's are gas charged! I don't have much experience with them! If they are gas charged you can't use them. Steering Stabilizers are overrated anyway! Can anyone else help out?

Bo

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!

3. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

As long as you can get some mounts for the steering stabalizer that will work. It is the right length, go for it. Not sure about the axle wrap. Though. Good luck.

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

RS5000's will not work as a steering stabilizer - it will be perpetually forcing you to turn left. Shocks provide a positive extension, and stabilizers are neutral dampers. That's the same reason why shocks are shipped with little bands on them to prevent extension and stabilizers aren't. If you can find the brackets, they can probably be made into kicker shocks for the rear - outside of that, they're spares.

If the shoe fits, get another one just like it
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

5. 91SLE

91SLE Registered Member

You can use the shock if it is long enough to allow full steer. As for the axle wrap issue, you will reduce axle articulation if you install the shocks for axle wrap. My.02$

6. Ron

Ron Registered Member

Maybe there is something wrong with these 5000s because when they are colapsed or in any postion they will not move on there own. Let me know if that is the case. And maybe they would work as a stabilizer. Thanks For all the input. Ron

7. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

Heh Ron,the Rs 5000 is not gas charged,that is why it will not move on its own.You could use it as a stabilizer but the valveing is a bit different.You do not have to worry about it pulling you to the side.

chevrules...always has and always will

8. Ron

Ron Registered Member

Hey thanks for everything it sounds like I can use a couple of these after all. What a great sight. I guess I will fab up some mounts. Anyone have pictures of kicker shock spring mounts I can take a look at? Ron

9. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I have a close-upp of the way my rancho steering stabilizer is mounted. Would'nt be to hard to fab upp a copy with some smal u-bolts and some plating.

It's on my page below:

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>

10. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Steering Stabilizers are overrated anyway

<hr></blockquote>

I just changed mine a couple of days ago, and it made a huge difference. Where do you get the idea they're overrated? Sure, it's not like they drive the car for you, but the difference is very noticeable.

<font color=black> "Where did all these people come from, and how soon can they leave..."
    -OLD 97's</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.batcave.net>www.k5.batcave.net</a>

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would get a shock that is made to be a stabilizer. As metioned above a shock's valveing is totaly different than a stablizer's. They are not that expensive and you can even get a stabilzer with brakets.
    As for kicker shocks......waiste of time and money! If you have axel wrap problems kicker shocks will not solve the axel wrap it will only dampin it a bit and as thoes shocks wear your dampining effect will decreas and axel wrap will be right back were it was.
    .02c

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

12. Alex

Alex Registered Member

Is a steering stabilizer worth the $ for a stock steering set-up? I can see some advantages if the vehicle is lifted but none for stock. I would assume it would drag the steering. Thanks,

13. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

Alex: The one I just installed is on a stock set up. I don't know if it came from the factory like that, but the stabilizer that was on there already looked like it was older than the truck! For about $30 for a Gabriel stabilizer, it's certainly worth it. It doesn't drag the steering, just gives it the right amount of firmness and greatly helps with bump-steer. Even if you had to but the brackets to add a stabilizer where one doesn't exist, it's not much more, and IMHO you get a lot of benefit for your money.

<font color=black> "Where did all these people come from, and how soon can they leave..."
    -OLD 97's</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.batcave.net>www.k5.batcave.net</a>

14. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Way back when 4 wheeling was young, and NAPCO's still walked the Earth, it was noticed that driving axles had gobs of bump steer, as compared to other vehicles. The aftermarket produced the mighty Heckethorn stabilizer to cure this problem. Around the early 60's, stabilizers became factory equipment on all 4 Wheel drives.

If the shoe fits, get another one just like it
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

15. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

My Jimmy was a wanderer, and I replaced the puctured original stabilizer (filled with water) with a new one, and it steers normally now.

<font color=red>"Oil? That's not my oil...that was there before" </font color=red>[​IMG]