Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Stabilizer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PGL4VT, Sep 5, 2002.

1. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

Can anyone tell me how in the world to get the bolt out of the steering stabilizer that goes through the tie rod? I can't budge it. I heated it with a torch and couldn't budge it. I cut the end of the bolt off and then drilled a hole in the middle of the bolt and I STILL can not budge that thing. Never have I had a bolt stuck this bad. Suggestions?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hehe!!! Too funny!! I went throught the exact same frustrating experience just a couple of months ago. I had to heat the sucker up REALLY good and then I got it out with a combination of an 18" pipe wrench and a BFH. It took me about an hour total to work the bolt out.

The only problem I can see is that you've cut the bolt off. Is it flush with the tie rod end? You may have kinda screwed yourself by doing that.

3. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

I cut off the end that has the nut on it (front of truck)so I don't see how I messed up. I'm gonna cut the other end off (stabilizer side) and put a socket on it and see if that will get it off.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

All i did was had a buddy hold a 3 pound sledge on the back side of the tie rod(so it wouldn't bounce) and I hit the nut on the stabilizer and it popped right out.

5. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

I tried beating it out with the nut on it with a hammer and it just bent the %&*# out of the bolt. That's why I had to cut the end off. It's not flush but close. I didn't think it was threaded in there but damn, I don't know. Is it threaded? It sure acts like it is.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

no its not threaded, its tapered so when you put the nut on its creates a press fit.