Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering stabilizer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Kell, Feb 17, 2003.

1. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

Last night I was out trailblazin' pretty hard and got stuck trying to get over a log /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. didn't notice till this morning but I flattened one of steering stabilizers as well as bending it 90 degrees. I was just wondering how you guys have yours set up. I have the trailmaster dual set and it seems like the bottom one is hangin in no mans land.
    -Kell-

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep. I smashed it also.
    I just have a single stablizer but i'm going to move it up high so it hopefully won't happen again.

Just take off the lower one when you go wheelin' /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get a WTO hydro ram and mount it from the upper part of a avalanche style diff guard to the top of the tie rod. Quite a bit beefier than a steering stab, pretty much up and out of the way, and way better at "stabilizing" your whole steering system. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

4. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

Sounds good but pricey.
    -Kell-

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

well.... I don't have one. I ran one for about two weeks till it got popped, pulled it off and haven't ran one for 4 years. Don't miss it. If anything, I like it better without. It doesn't blur the response I get from the tires. I found that during those two weeks, it would do it's job and mask bumps and what-not, I'd prefer to feel those and know a little about what's going on at the tires.

But that's just me.

6. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

I have buddies with the dual setups, both inline and over/under... both setup get bashed pretty bad each time we are out. Mine is a single in the stock position... no smashing yet... knock on wood. my single is fine with 35's, can't speak for larger.

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I ran duals inline for a while before going hydro. I liked that setup for two reasons... (1) I thought it looked cool and (2) by running them inline in front of the tie rod, they helped shield the tie rod from impacts and such. If I damage a stabilizer, I can take it off and keep going. Bend a tie rod and things become so much more interesting!

8. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

The trail master steup I am running has the stabilizers behind the tie rod so I bent it up too.

9. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

I run a single RS5000 on my dana 60 with 37inch swampers. I wanted to go dual but was told to try the single first and I am glad I waited because I'm sure I would've destroyed a dual setup on a rock by now. I wouldn't run without one as I when my original wore out I had terrible tire wobble on road whenever I hit a pot-hole or even was brakeing hard.

10. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Trailmaster's coilover steering stabilzer made a HUGE difference in the steering and overall drive of my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    That might be something to look into! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I snapped one once but the shaft broke inside the tube. Didn't know it until it jammed at highway speed. Kinda scary when you can't turn right all of a sudden. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif