Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering stabilizers vs. shocks?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MUD JUNKIE, Apr 19, 2003.

1. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

I need 2 steering stabes,on my 79' chevy pickup well I went to discount autoparts today and asked how much they are,for rancho they arelike $65 a piece /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifbut for a regular shock (rancho) they are on sale for like $$35 could I use a shock for this? I did measure out the length of the shock with the piston pulled all the way out and pushed back in,and I forgot the measurement but overall I have 9" of massive travel /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif so could I just find a shock with 9" travel and stick it on there?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Nope. The internal valving is different. A steering stabilizer is valved at 50/50, so the force required to move it is the same in either direction. Shocks are valved closer to 70/30. They compress easier than they extend.

3. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

so what does that mean? the tires would be harder to turn?
    my whole steering setup is trashed,sterring stabes,TRE's,drag link Tres,tie rod is bent into a "S" shape after moving down that tree that wouldnt let me by

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well the different dampening of a standard shock would lead to easier turning in one direction than in the other. With power steering you probably wouldn't notice a difference in feel of how hard it is to turn, but the tires catching the road would act on the stabilizer differently (not the same dampening force both ways)
    Also, I don't think standard shocks have the correct valving to run sideways. Maybe a Rancho 9000, but then you're up to about that price.
    I'm running a H.D. Moog stabilizer - i think it was about $60 and it's still in great shape after 2+ years. (I disconnected it and gave it a pull with my hands, just like it was when I installed it)

5. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

you could use 2 shocks but mount them opposite to each other.

jason

6. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    NEVER EVER use a shock in place of a sterring stablizer. Shocks can go into 'HYDRO LOCK' where the oil flow is restricted to nothing, and you lose control of yuor vehicle.