Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Stabilizers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudslinger99, May 3, 2005.

?

Which 1 is better ?

1. One on top the other

24 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Side by Side

32 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

What do you all think is the better way to go ? One on top the other ____
    ____
    Or side by side ____ ____ Post up with your experience thanks.

2. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

they do about the same either way... I think its more of a look thing then anything else

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If your steering system is in good shape you shouldn't need one steering stabilizer, let alone 2 of them.

If you have to have a stabilizer then you need to search for the real problem in the steering system. Stabilizers just mask problems.

Harley

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

what H50 said. One steering stabilizer is fine, but if you really need two of them, something (potentially serious) is wrong with the steering system.

j

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I took mine off and it is just fine

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I run a single stock stabilizer with 40's. No problem at all, and when I finally finish the hydro assist the stabilizer will be gone.

Rene

7. mudslinger99

Well at this point i have a dual over and under mount with only 1 stabilizer installed..And to tell the truth it looks to be pretty worn out and in bad shape but the truck still drives down the road perfectly straight..I have seen them both types i was just wondering would there be any benifits of 1 over another... thanks for the replys

8. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

but they do look cool :D

9. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

A ram looks better...

10. jekbrown

have you tried removing it and test driving it? might not even need one. lol!

j

11. mudslinger99

No it was on there when i bought the truck so i haven't messed with it yet... I am not having any problems with the steering on the truck it drives great so far.. I was just curious if anybody on here preffered the 1 stabilizer on top of the other 1 or the side by side style.. I have seen both styles but didn't know if there was a difference in performance aspect between the 2.

12. jekbrown

well... if you're going to run two, orienting them one on top the other would make getting them mangled by rocks and stuff on the trail less likely. Thats the only advantage I can see to either option.

j

13. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I guess my all new Dana perfect circle and Moog steering parts suck right out of the box. I had wheel shimmy over bumps with the 36's till I put two stabilizers on.

14. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Thats why I have my side by side with silver painted shocks :pimp:

15. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

if you run one on top of the other, the lower one hangs down more than a single stabilizer. i think side by side, even tho its across the whole tie rod basically, would provide a higher ground clearance.

i know everyone says you dont need them if everything is kosher, but why have i seen so many stock vehicles with factory stabilzers then? are you suggesting they just have crappy steering geometry so they threw one on to mask the problems?

also why do they always say in the catalogs " single for under 35" tire, dual for 35" and over". is that just a conspiracy to sell more units?

just food for thought, so dont go flamin' me :D

16. jekbrown

yeah, thats one way of looking at it. No reason why you couldn't fab up a mounting bracket that had the lower one (in a over-under arrangement) about the same height as either on a side-by-side set up tho.

stock rigs do have them though I can only speculate why. They do dampen sudden movements or vibes in the steering system, maybe they are there to "enhance" how steering "feels"?

I wouldn't doubt it. It may just be old tech. I mean in the 70s or 80s dual shocks made sense cause shock tech sucked... enter monster trucks, racing etc and shocks have come a long way. Unless you do high speed desert whoops or something you don't need more than 1 shock per wheel anymore. Could be the same for steering stabs. In any case, I always like to recommend replacing the stock steering stabilizer with a hydro assist ram. :)

j

17. mudslinger99

I understand to a degree to what a few have said about just masking a steering problem.... I have heard people say their having steering issues and think that a new stabilizer to replace the old 1 is the answer but after they install it they still have some issues... But on the same note like Johnny-K5 said they do come on some factory trucks so they must serve some type of valid purpose.... Also i bet most of us could count on 1 hand how many 4x4 trucks we have seen with any type of lift that does not have atleast 1 if not 2... Other then the clearence issues already mentioned can anybody think of anything else on 1 design versus the other ?

18. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

how did this get back to the top?? :confused:

19. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I don't think it matters . Mine is in the stock spot , dented in from a rock . And it either still works or I don't need it as I have virtually no bumpsteer , and no shimmies and shakes .

20. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Wait till your stabilizer shaft snaps off inside the tube. NO LEFT TURNY!! It takes alot of rights to make a left. :doah: