Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Stabilizers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scott Ellinger, Dec 20, 2000.

1. Scott Ellinger

Scott Ellinger Registered Member

Okay, as promised, I picked up some U-bolts to try and make a steering stabilizer bracket kit... so, now I got some questions.

There are two styles of mounts... the bushing style (Rancho refers to it as an EB-x where x is a number denoting size) and the pin style. The pin style is what I've always had on my own stabilizers, and what stuff like S10's uses for the stock upper mounts; the EB style is like the K5 uses stock on the shocks. The mid-late-80's stock K5 setups that I've always seen, use a pin in the one tie rod end, but that sticks out and lets you put an EB-style shock end on it, and I think there's a similar setup on the axle, welded on.

Since stabilizers are hardly ever stock any more, what's the common K5 setup? Pin, bushing (like stock), or...?

And what size?

When guys run dual stabilizers, are they usually two side by side, two end to end, or...?

I know I can pull up what Rancho specs out for the K5, but I know Rancho isn't the only company that makes stabilizers, and even guys that run Rancho stabilizers, may not be running what Rancho says you're "supposed to" use.

--scott
    http://www.rockstomper.com

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Mine is pin style but the stock one has the bushing and pin pointing down from the shock instead of straight out like I have now.

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I have had the dual stabilizer setup with the vertical (one shock on top of the other) for years. It uses the pin style ends. It is the Dick Cepek style. I am gonna check mine out this weekend, see if I can just get some 1.5" u-bolts and make a larger plate...but let us know if you come up with something cool!

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Stock is the "EB" style which uses a stud to connect it to the tie rod hole and the hole on the bracket that is welded onto the front diff tube. Aftermarket Rancho stabilizer "kits" use the pin style at each end, with bushings.

ken

5. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

jsut break down and buy dual stering stalbeizers from
    www.roughcountry.com for 90$
    i did and they are AWESOME!!!

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

6. Scott Ellinger

Scott Ellinger Registered Member

Umm... I would buy some, except for a couple of small "gotchas" that apply to me...
    1. I don't own a K5. (gasp) (how'd I get on here?)
    2. Their brackets won't fit my Rock Rods.

I feel the need to clarify... I run a fab shop, I make parts, some of which fit K5's. I'm looking to expand the product line to better suit the needs of K5 owners... that's why I'm asking about stabilizers.

My own stuff doesn't even have stabilizers on it any more, but I know that some trucks (Swampers tend to do this to trucks much more than certain models do it to themselves) need stabilizers in order to be driveable on the street.

So, since you must have that Rough Country stabilizer to be so enthusiastic about it... would you mind telling me about it? It looks like it uses EB style shocks on the center mount (to the tie rod?) but I can't tell what size. Is this a common stabilizer setup on K5's?

--scott
    http://www.rockstomper.com