Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering stabilzer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Apr 23, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I tried to take the old Rancho steering stabilizer off my Blazer today without much luck. I thought I'd ask here, before I put any more time into it.
    Anyways, where it attaches vertically on the drivers side is where the problem is. Its really close underneath the leaf spring and the drag link is also right on top of it. So when I take the nut off, I can't slide the shock out of the stud. And the stud won't budge. Isn't the stud supposed to slide out??? How can I get it out? I have new hardware, so if it means trashing the old stuff, thats fine.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. Under the drag link? They are usually mounted side to side(horizontal) in the front on the driver's side and the studs are solid on the axle and drop out where attatched to the tie rod. You said the drag link was in the way. Try to move the steering wheel and then check it to see if it moves out of your way. Good luck!!!!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Of course its horizontal. The right side that won't slide off is whats "under the drag link." And the body of the stabilizer is directly under the leaf spring. Getting off the tie rod end of it is easy, but the right side isn't. It can't move down because the bracket the stud is in is right below it. And like I said the leaf spring is right above...so unless that stud comes out it almost looks impossible to get out. The new stabilzer came with 2 studs which makes me believe that both of them should come out...they just don't want to move.
    I don't know if that made any sense. I'll try turning the wheel and see if that works. Thanks for the help.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

You might have the same problem I've been dealing with as I replace all of my shocks. The metal sleeve inside the bushing of the shocks had become so rusted, they fused themselves onto the bolts. Thus, the bolt couldn't be pulled out through the bracket holes!

For the back shock, bottom bolt, took my die grinder and a cut-off wheel on a mandrel and cut the shock off the bolt, then cut the bolt. Had to make trips to 5 stores to find grade 8 bolts too. Lowes Home Improvement store had the best selection.

Hope this helps,
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

That's weird, on my '73K5 the axle bracket is about 3" outboard of the leaf spring pack. The drag link is directly above put a long ways due to my 4" lift. You may try jacking up the front driver corner to get some room and use a hammer and or prybar. Anyway, the stud on mine is replacable so I wouldn't worry about cutting it out if you have to. Too bad I don't have some pics, oh well. Good luck fellow '73er.

'73K5,SM465,NP205,33"BFG,4"TuffCountry,3.73:1diffs
    350.4bolt+mods,Warn8000#,Factory skidplates