Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Stablizers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric78K5, Mar 31, 2000.

1. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys!
    I've been considering replacing my stock steering stablizer. I've seen several of your K5's with duals...both stacked on top of each other, and opposing each other. Currently, I'm running stock size 31 x 10.5 BFG All Terrains, and I'd like to know which setup I should go with, if I'm planing on upgrading to 33's in the future?

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

most kits i've seen come with the stacked option standard, then you have to get another kit to go side to side. most people i've talked to like the side x side better, because they dont sit as low as the bottom of the stacked setup. ive seen some stabilizers trashed like that.(on the bottom)

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

3. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

I replaced mine about 9 months ago with a Moog Tail ... something. It was just a single unit but was a little bigger (diameter of the cylinder) than the OE. Didn't notice a lot of difference but fighting the wheel was a little better. I have a lifetime warranty on it and will just probably keep it that way. I read in several posts that there was not too much of a difference with the dual system.

4. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Sounds almost exactly like a post of mine a few days ago. The replies that time were that a single stab. is good for tires up to 35". Larger than that you need the dual stab. You can get a rancho from Summitracing.com for about $35.00.

<font color=purple>////////
    Drive it like gas is </font color=purple><font color=red>$2.00/gal!!!</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

5. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

I have a Dick Cepek dual kit on mine with 38" tires. they are stacked on top of each other and have had no problems. Truck doesn't fight ruts anymore.

6. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Tuff Country has a side to side kit,, they don't show it in their add,, just call them and ask for it.

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

7. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I had a Black Diamond (Warn) side by side on my K5. The only thing I noticed after I took it off was that it no longer got dented up. For my 33" BFG M/Ts, the single stabilizer in the stock location is plenty. (I re-used one of the dual set up and put it in stock location.)

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would recommend putting a replacement stabilizer in the stock location. I had a side by side setup for awhile (I thought it looked cool at the time), but soon realized it wasn't necessary and caused problems on the trail.