Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Sticking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Confederate9, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i have asked this before, and after i got replies, it quit and its back and i cant find the post but here is whats going on:
    when i make turns sometimes mostly when i turn right but afte ri turn and striaghten up then my steering tries to pull to the right.
    ive heard to check my ujoints on my front, but how do i do that, and also what are the other possible problems?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

If your hubs are unlocked, the u-joint will not matter. I had this problem and it was the wheel bearing. I could jack up the wheel and it felt fine. Changed it anyway and it fixed the problem.

3. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I had something similar happen to me. When I turned the wheel to make a turn, the truck acted like it wasn't gonna turn. So I turned the steering wheel a little more, and all of a sudden, she was turning too far, too quickly. The same thing would happen when coming out of a turn, returning to straight. I checked everything, and everything felt tight, no play in any steering components.

I finally figured out that I had bad ball joints on the drivers side. They did not feel loose, like you would think. They had a place where they binded. I think what happened was when I went "underwater fourwheeling" water got in those joints, and over a few months time, caused rust to build up in the joints, causing them to bind.

Just a thought, good luck!

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    If your hubs are unlocked, the u-joint will not matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so. Even though the shafts aren't spinning, the u-joint is still pivoting in a turn. So, if it's rusted or the needle bearings are dusted/jammed, it will lead to hard steering/weird characteristics.