Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering toast help!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Redfrog, May 30, 2001.

1. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Today while while in a drive up going through the line
    I heard and most importantly felt a grinding. and then a pop
    the first thing that came to mind after the ever so popular "OH SH*T" was its about time for ball joints. well when I pulled out on to the street everything was normal. On the way home tonight I turned a corner an that when the problem started.
    it started pulling hard to the left. when I corrected the wheel
    to the right it shot to the other side of the road. once again I
    thought OH SH*T when I stopped I looked, turned the wheels
    and everything was fine. So I took off again and could not go
    over 45mph because it started the pulling to the left crap again. I had my wife turn the wheel while I watched everything and stuff looked OK but its not. The only thing
    I did notice was grease coming out of a zerk on the outer tie rod con someone PLEASE help me I have to fix it before work tomarrow

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

While my suggestion may not be the same problem as yours, you may check it out anyways. I had a similar problem with my 85 K30 after I hit a curb sliding sideways on ice and the front driver side tire hit it hard. The impact jerked the steering wheel out of my hands and the tires to one direction. I straightened back out and drove off noticing my steering wheel wasnt centered anymore!!!! I got home and did some checking on it. Turns out the impact of hitting the curb sheared the splines on the pitman arm up on the steering gear box!!!!! I had to get a new one and put that on and VOILA!!! Straight steering again and normal response was back again!!!
    This may not be the same problem as you have, but just to play it safe, go check the pitman arm out.

When In Doubt, Whip It Out!

3. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I went out and checked it and the pit man arm looks OK
    I might add that it is on my 79 that has all of the orginal steering parts. I figure that it about time being that they are
    22 yrs old and have over 150k on them

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you