Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering too sensitive!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Feb 22, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

my steering is way too sensitive, i am all over the place on the road, is there anything i can do too help it?

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

What type of steering? Stock, crossover, hydro assist, etc...? List the parts (lifted steering arm, block, etc). Try to better describe the problem - truck turns more than steering wheel effort, holding steering wheel straight the truck darts, etc.

IMO, I doubt it's truely too sensitive. It's probably a loose part or bump steer causing it to wander.

3. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

it is stock steering, withe a 3inch block, and raised steering arm, the draglink is at a downward angle of about an inch, the balljoints and wheel bearings are new, it has a brand new single steering stabilizer on it and the tie-rods feel tight, it turns effortlessly, i can be driving down the road and even the slightest movement of the steering wheel and it will fly off to whatever side you are moving too, it just started doing this recently.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

To me it doesn't sound too sensitive, it sounds like you have excessive wander. Look at the toe. I like mine set 1/8" to 1/4" toe in.

5. kevcarr59

kevcarr59 Registered Member

Steering...

You may also want to check your steering gear preload. If your steering box is original and has a lot of wear that could be it. You have to be carefull though, don't tighten too much or you'll mess up the pump.

6. velocitiii

velocitiii Registered Member

Sounds like you have a nice case of toe out, or your castor is incorrect.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the raised arm with the block is most likly going to cause the bolts to loosen or brake from the extra pressure there. i would get a drop pitman arm and only the raised arm if that will fit your combo. only if the toe problem is solved . this is just a sugestion.

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

go to your rig and with a friend and a measuring tape, measure the middle of the front of the rim, from rim to rim, the measure the middle of the back of the rim from the inside.

should only be about a 1/4 inch difference, with a 1/4 or 1/8 less in the front then the back.