Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering upgrade... finally broke so why stop half way

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by limey, Oct 8, 2003.

1. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

Steering box leaks like a siv. And has more play than a ….. so I an going crossover and hydro assist. Just hope to do it right the first time.

1 is their and difference in taping the steering box at the two ends, rather than taping on the side?
    2 is the pressure the same either place or is one better?
    3 was stupid so it was removed
    4 is it better to get a ram that has the cylinders out both ends (like what people use for full hydro) rather than the normal one sided cylinder?

thanks for the insight and opinions

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: 4 hydro questions ????

unless like just your output shaft on the steering box broke I don't see it getting you home. If something internal broke it would probably lock up or lose pressure and that would keep the ram from working.

3. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

Re: 4 hydro questions ????

help??? advice??

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    1 is their and difference in taping the steering box at the two ends, rather than taping on the side?

[/ QUOTE ]

the box WTO did for me was taped on the side... matt knows steering boxes, so I assume there is a good reason.

[ QUOTE ]
    4 is it better to get a ram that has the cylinders out both ends (like what people use for full hydro) rather than the normal one sided cylinder?

[/ QUOTE ]

no point in dual ended rams IMO unless you are gonna run one of those wacky fullhydro setups where the rams body is bolted to the diff and pushes shorter "tie rods" out each end to turn the wheels. neat in that it combines the ram + drag link + tierod in one assembly... but full hydro is the only really use for it.

IMO, if you want it "done right the first time", have WTO rebuild/tap a steering box for ya. If you can get rams and hydralic lines and poop somewhere else super cheap (that are good quality!) then go that route, but I wouldnt tap my own box unless i really knew what I was doing... and even if I did, the box still wouldnt be rebuilt just cause it was tapped.

j

5. limey

limey 1/2 ton status

well i cant afford a new steering box so i figured i would rebuild it. and i might as well tap it while it is apart. i have 2 so if i screw one up the second one works fine with exception of the seals so i will just replace the seals if all else fails.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I think they tap the sides of the box because it is stronger than the aluminum caps. The end cap for sure is weaker and you need to weld some aluminum to it to tap. Welding on this peice is no fun at all. As far as the ram goes I would say stay with a single ended ram. If you have a hydraulic place nearby figure out what you need for fittings and hoses and take it to them. they will be able to make you what you need and you can count on the quality.