Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering violence in sand

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stevos67k20, Apr 12, 2007.

1. stevos67k20

stevos67k20 1/2 ton status

every so often i go into a local river bottom and wheel with my friends. the sand here is nothing like pismo sand, this is course, soft and slippery sand.

my main concern is when i turn my truck (67 long bed, dana60 front...) the wheels shake voilently left to right.

reminds me of axle wrap/wheel hop, but it does it side to side. it does this only when i turn so sharp, it doen't do it if i barely turn. my steering is perfect on the road. i have a new stabilzer too. i have a fairly new crossover steering.

my d60 is also a posi traction, would this cause the shaking. it is a shake too, not a vibrate, i can actually see my wheels shaking!

i'm stumped...i dont think it did this is pismo but that was about a year ago.

2. Elevator Man

Elevator Man 1/2 ton status

My truck is locked front and rear and when I have all four locked in and turn sharp my truck kinda walkes/hops/jerks the way I turn

3. stevos67k20

hmmmm....maybe my truck is trying to jerk, but can't, because its sand and consequently the steering shakes???

makes sense, any other ideas of what it is?

4. Elevator Man

When all four wheels are locked up, all four are turning at the same speed thus making it hard to turn. hope this helps do you have a locker in the rear?

5. stevos67k20

yes i have a 14bff with a locker in the rear, it is in sand though so all tires are spinning, would this make a difference? it gets worse the faster i go, i only go about 2-15 mph while turning in sand. its pretty bad sometimes, i can feel it in the steering wheel ALOT.

6. Elevator Man

Watch you front tires when you turn and see if they are jumping front to back while turning, I'll bet thats what causing the problem my truck does the same thing. let me know when you find out!!!

7. stevos67k20

thats exaclty what they do but instead of going front to back it translates it through the streering system an shakes, but yeah thats exactly what is looks like....turned sharp, accellerating (sticking head out window to see front driver side wheel), wheel bounces forward and backward. i guessing this is normal for posi/ locked vehicles...

8. Elevator Man

Thats what I thought, Perfectly Normal!