Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering wanders

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spincast375, Aug 21, 2004.

1. spincast375

spincast375 1/2 ton status

I just acquired a 76 Blazer, with 8" lift, and 35" tires. The steering seems loose, as it wanders or 'walks' from side to side while driving. At higher speeds it can be a challenge to control. There is no visible crack in the frame. Also, the steering wheel, while most of the time is horizontal, rotates 90* on its own to vertical, then back again. Lastly, the steering turns very easy. Yet it seems to be geared maybe 2:1; more revolutions on the steering wheel than felt by the tires. Any ideas?

This is my first 4x4. My 1990 C1500 steering is solid. I expected something similar on the Blazer.

2. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

Possibly a bad steering box.

3. Ben

Ben Registered Member

That's an EZ one to figure out...jack up the front end, tires off the ground...and check for serious movement when you grab each tire. Check for up and down and sideways "play." If all is secure/tight then the steering box is more than likely the fault.
    Take it to a front end shop for a check up and go from that point on what to do.

4. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Have you had someone steer it while watching steering box and frame. I couldn't notice the cracks until the frame would flex when moved. Should get brace anyways if it doesn't have it, will be matter of time before cracks from.

5. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

I second what Bruiser said, have someone crank the wheel back and forth and watch the box...
    I have a lot of the same symptoms (wandering, steering wheel never seems to be in the same place, etc.) and I was amazed at how much the steering box was moving. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif This is with no visible cracks in the frame.
    Sometimes it will make a nice cracking sound as the steering box shifts.
    Yeah, definitely time to call ORD. /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

sounds like maybe a bad Tie rod or drag link end.

7. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Could be alot of things. You need to investigate furthur. Steering shaft slip joint is a very commonly overlooked one. Bad steering box is unlikly, and should be the last thing to suspect...
    Check here

8. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Mine did the same thing, the steering rod, that connects he steering box to the linkage goes bad. Needss to replace it, he balls are too loose. Tighten up the adjustment rod there, and that should stop the steering wheel from goign 90 degrees.
    Edduie

9. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

I have spent two years trying to correct the same problem on my ’86 Blazer
    New Ball Joints,
    New drag link,
    New tie rod ends,
    Frame repaired at the steering box (Most times you will not see the cracks until the box has been removed),
    I have even installed the brace from Off-road Design. (The brace made a huge difference.)
    That is until I put more air in the rear tires. It seems that I had underestimated the amount of air pressure needed.
    What a difference!!! Even with no sway bars I now go into corners without a worry.
    Although I have tried all of these repairs, the frame is still getting a replacement. Found another frame that still has original paint.
    This replacement will be reinforced at all the necessary places and I will be installing a ¾ ton driveline. The tires will be kept at or below 33”.
    Some times I look for a hard remedy to an easy problem.