Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering weel speed sensor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazing86, Feb 11, 2002.

1. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

I know this isnt the place for this post but it gets alot of traffic so........ My mom has a 98 suburban and the steering wheel speed sensor on the steering column has gone bad. My question is for anyone who has taken apart the column? How long did it take and any advice when doing it?
    thanks guys

2. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

3. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

WTF is a steering wheel speed sensor? What does it do?

Diesel

Shouldn't it be called uncommon sense?

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

It's part of the Variable Effort Steering (VES) systems on these trucks. It monitors how fast your turning the wheel and adjusts the steering assist accordingly. It's designed to give you more assist at low speed and less at high speeds, along with a few other things I'm not quire sure of. It the sensor has gone bad, your system would just turn to a normal steering system, just like we all have on our K5's, at least the ones with Power steering.

BlazerMan

5. blazing86

blazing86 1/2 ton status

i see what your saying about it being normal powersteering but its not. The steering wheel gets too much power assist at certain places. I tested the sensor and it is bad on ly in certain places. But back to the question............ how hard is it to change out the sensor. I have to take the column apart

6. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Sorry..that I don't know. Never taken one apart. The only reason I know so much about the system is a though a friend who works @ delphi, the makers of the system.
    I have taken apart a K5 column before (a '73, an '84 (tilt) and a '91(tilt)) a pain in the butt..I think I'll pay for the next one to be refurbished.....so I can only imagine the newer ones....sorry...

BlazerMan

7. 85 blazer

85 blazer 1/2 ton status

What you got is a steering wheel position sensor and to change it simplly crawl under dash remove 1 15mm bolt at base of column follow the wire up to the connector remove the protetive "fuzz" off of it pull the lock and discard and remove the sensor hope this helps!