Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering wheel center moving

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by taterblazer, Dec 7, 2001.

1. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

My steering wheel center has gotten progresively worse going from about 30 degrees to 90 out. I know how to temp fix it, drag link. But what is causing it to drift?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Something somewhere is moving... [​IMG] Look for frame cracks around the steering box first. Then check all the springs bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints, etc. For the steering wheel position to change, something has to be allowing teh distance between the steering box and the axle to change. NOT a good thing! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check the actual ball joints at the drag link...my dads truck was easier to turn one way than the other, ended up both of the ball joints there had failed..pretty bad too, lucky they didn't break.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

4. taterblazer

Thanks gang! I checked it again and it's more like it was at 15 then it went to 45. Still a lot though. The draglink is new as is 1/2 the tie rod and the ball joints on the steer side. I'm thinking maybe the U bolts aren't quite tight enough. Seems to straighten up some when I crank on the brakes. Goes down the rode like a trooper though!

5. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

do you wheel this truck?
    the drag link adjuster sleeve bends easy and causes that

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Mine would do that. few things I found were loose and missing rivits that attache the crossmembers to the rails. Made it much better when those were replaced with bolts. They I got the ORD brace. NEVER gets crooked no matter how hard I wheel it. Made it drive better on the street also.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

7. taterblazer

Doesn't get wheeled as much as I would like. Don't have a garage right now or a friend with one I can use. So it's parking lot fixes for me. It took some hits this last summer though. Last time got air on the front tires. Landed soft though. I'll figure it out sometime. Seems safe enough right now.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well just check for crackes around the steering box and missing rivits. Thats the stuff that needs to be fixed to be safe. I have no less then 10 rivits that have been replace with bolts.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

- Get someone to wiggle the steering wheel, just enuff to "hit-the-tires", while you look for worn (play in-the) tie-rod-ends and drag links.
    - Also take notice of the play in the in-put shaft -vs.- the out-put shaft, on the steering grear. Is it exsessive? I don't know what the spec is, but it should be obvise if it is exsessive.
    - Get axle on jack-stands, and "push-pull" on upper and lower part of the tire. Is there a defente "clunk-clunk"? If so, pull the offending tire/wheel and do the same "test" useing the hub as a lever, watch the upper and lower ball-joint for play. Any-play in the ball-joint is bad, or going bad. (I thnk lateral spec is .125"- but I'm not sure, if it has play, replace it). If there is play, but it's not in the ball-joints, check the wheel-bearing.
    -(ball-joints and W/B are not likely to cause a "loose steering" feel, unless they are very bad. Ball-joints and W/B are pre-loaded with the weight of the truck)-
    - Check for frame cracks around the gear (as stated above).

<font color=blue>Twiz</font color=blue>
    Can't get it up?
    So, drop it in
    gear.