Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering wheel locked need help immediatley

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlitzK5, Dec 7, 2005.

1. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

I cannot get the steering wheel to unlock. I need to get it moved ASAP from my friends driveway to store it for the winter. The ignition switch will not turn when I put the key into it to unlock the steeering wheel. I had it towed from one place to his driveway by a tow truck anout 35KM acouple months ago by the back wheels with the steering wheel locked, Could something by broke? Everything is connected up front other then the driveshaft. i need to flat tow it with another truck so I will have to steer it.

Please help i need to do this in the next 1hour before it gets dark. I dont want to have to dismantel the steering wheel.

There is no brake fluid in the master cylinder and the rear brake lines are disconnected. Is there some kind of pressure switch interlock that has to be activated when pressing the brakes or something. it is also -15 here and my battery is dead.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the steering wheel has some force against it, try moving the wheel one way or the other while trying to turn the key. (lightly, don't break the key) If there is pressure against everything, moving the wheel a bit can sometimes allow you to get the key to move.

If it stays locked, I can't see any other way than to pull the wheel and the lockplate. Certainly more expensive to break column parts than just pull it apart far enough to turn the wheel.

3. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Ok im going outside right know to dissonnect the braglink for the pitman arm and try to loosen it. All my tools have been moved so I have no access to my jack to move the wheels side to side.
    Thanks

4. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

so there is not electrical mechanism like a pressure switch when pressing the brakes in to lock the steering wheel correct? its all mechanical right?

5. dyeager535

Yes, all mechanical, all tied to the key itself. Nothing "past" the steering column is part of the lock mechanism.

6. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

yea all mechanical.

7. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

you don't need to literally move the wheels just turn on the wheel. it will move a bit in both directions.

8. dyeager535

Yes, sorry if that wasn't clear! :) Move the steering wheel a bit side to side. The pressure from the tires might be traveling back up through the steering assembly, ultimately evidencing itself against the lockplate/pin in the column. Moving the steering wheel will reduce the friction of the pin on the lockplate, which should allow the key to turn.

9. sinner4

sinner4 Registered Member

That is right, mine did the same on my 79' with tilt. A few weeks after I changed the key switch, (lock, tumbler in the colum), It was jamed also, the key wouldnt turn at all. Had to remove and install a new key lock, the lock was stuck..

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Just try to turn the steering wheel hard to one side and try the key while holding pressure on the steering wheel and if it doesn't work try turning hard the other way and try the key.

11. Snow Patrol

Snow Patrol Registered Member

So what ever happened how did ya fix it or what was the problem? just curious...

12. BlitzK5

BlitzK5 1/2 ton status

Nope I couldnt get the damm key to move. Something must have jammed when I towed it. I tryed the moving the wheels put the key locking mechanism would not release. I had pull the truck at right angles to straighten it out to get it down the alley, good thing its winter and it slippery here to make it slide. I had to do this 3 times. Lots of fun. So what does it take to fix the locking mechanism and is it a matter of just freeing it up or do you have to purchase a new part?. I would assume you would have to get a steering wheel removal tool to start.

13. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

I couldnt tell ya without looking at it. You should go down to harbor freight and get their cheap steering wheel puller/installer kit. A place like auto zone may have this as well. I bought one and am happy that I did because I've been into my steering column probably 4 times since I bought the kit and needed it every time. It's definitely good to have around. Let us know what you find out..