Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Wheel Loose

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Weekend Warrior, Mar 1, 2000.

1. Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior Registered Member

I've got a 87 Blazer with tilt steering, the entire steering column is loose. I have been told it is a major pain in the A@# to fix. Is it worth spending $80, or should I attempt it on my own? I have access to a steering wheel puller, will I need any other special tools?

2. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Are you sure it's the entire column? Or just from the tilt up? If it's the entire column,, then pretty easy, just 4 big bolts,, if it's from the tilt up,, you have to take it all apart to get to 4 bolts inside the column. It sucks, but can be done at home with a stearing wheel puller and the U shaped tool to compress the flat plate under the wheel.
    You have to drop the column and unplug the wires that go up the column so you can push them up and remove the
    blinker assembly. If you're going to do it and want more help, let me know.

Todd<font color=purple>78/87</font color=purple>
    [​IMG]

3. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

my '89 had the same problem. the damn thing will disintegrate if you continue driving it. mine got VERY wobbly before she went, but she did go. luckily it was in the parking lot at work, low speed. i tried the steering wheel puller thing, and the other crap you mentioned, but it was too much for me. there's a lot of little parts that fit 'just so'. and seeing as how the steering is fairly important, i put all the pieces in a box, and called a buddy with a body shop. he did the deed for me, i paid over $100.
    if you got an offer for $80, i think i'd take it.
    by the way, i need the little actuator for the right turn signal; if ya somehow end up with an extra one, let me know.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

4. Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior Registered Member

How long do you think the project will take? It is from the tilt up.

5. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Took me a couple hours the first time,, but I can have it tore apart in about 15 mins now. If you do it, get some LOC Tite to put the bolts back in with. You can get at a couple of them without punching out the tilt thingy on the side of the column,, but to get them all you have to punch it out.

Todd<font color=purple>78/87</font color=purple>
    [​IMG]