Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering wheel off center, truck doesnt pull

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by milspecjimmy, Jan 29, 2003.

1. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

since i put in my 4" lift, i have not had a centered wheel. well, i did till i drove it off road, then i readjusted it and got it centered. went off road again, lost center. got it back, welded the adjusting sleeve to the tie rods ends.(this is all assumed to be going on between the steering arm and steering box) drove it off road after that, lost center again, now its even father off center!! any ideas?

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I think this may be it...look at how the drag link ends are situated into the pitman and steering arms before you start to adjust...after adjustment, make sure they are in the same position, not turned to the side...this is the only thing i can think of, because my truck does it too...If that isn't it, then get used to it because i dont think there is an easy way to fix it...dropping the swayabr will help though

3. milspecjimmy

yeah the ends are straight, and the sway bar is gone. i am a little stumped on this one

4. Heavymetal

Heavymetal 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are your u bolts tight enough? I saw a guy have a similar problem, but much worse, and it turned out his drivers side u-bolts were very loose.

5. milspecjimmy

yeah, all the u bolts are tight, i think it is the arm on the steering box slipping on the splines, i am going to mark it today, then drive it. if the wheel moves, i will move it back to center, then weld the arm /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

*cough* frame crack*cough*

BTW...don't weld steering parts, it isn't necessary and it could be dangerous. The pitman arm can't slip on the splines...

Rene

7. milspecjimmy

yeah here is some cough syurp rene, there arent any frame cracks "YET", i just crawled all over the frame and it looks really good. i also cant see any thing that looks like it has moved at all. i am wondering if it isnt the steering box internals or something. as far as welding, i would only weld the replaceable parts, and i know how to weld very well, stuff like that you just need the correct rods, and to preheat the parts.

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

steering box has not effect on it...i replaced mine and it did the same thing

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, I thought my frame was good too. Try removing the steering box and cleaning the frame area where the box bolts up. I found a couple cracks in mine that weren't visible at all until I removed the box.

How new are the drag link ends? Also the crush link between the drag link ends isn't going to move if the bolts are reasonably tight...no need to weld it. I don't doubt your welding ability, just saying it isn't necessary or a good idea.

Do you run a bolt on steering box brace?

Rene

10. chevyman_400

chevyman_400 Registered Member

yeah I have had three chevys do the same thing and can think of a dosned more that do it to the answer is live with it or but a brace in and do cross over

11. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I go through this all the time /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. All 4 times that I have had these symptoms, it turned out to be a broken spring centering pin on the front left pack (yes my u-bolts were/are properly torqued /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif). I actually broke another one and still need to replace it, this time I will drill my packs out a bit and put in the larger center pins like f*rds use (or you can just use a larger grade 8 bolt). I would check that out first and if the problem does not go away, remove your box and look for those otherwise invisible cracks.

12. milspecjimmy

problem fixxed, heavymetal was dead on. i havent had a chance to re tighten teh u bolts since i did the axel swap 2 weeks ago, tightend em up and all is well. bad news is that i replaced the entire drag link assembly, and took the steering box off and looked for cracks. there are non /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif thanks all
    and i learned a lesson in RE-TQing

13. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yep, damn u-bolts, strechin out on us, i cant wait to walk around my truck after i do the lift and torque every new bolt once, then after driving it for a big retorqueing all the bolts /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

yes, retorquing is great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif