Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering wheel play?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tach, Jun 28, 2001.

1. tach

tach Registered Member

Would rebuilding the steering box help get rid of excess play in steering? If not what would?

2. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

Yes it would. Play is years of wear and tear. You'll almost always have a little play because of the ratio's. Check all your steering componets for play. With a new box you should get rid of alot of it.
    Other than a new box if everything is tight, can't think of anything to get ride of play.
    Anyone else have some info?

Rasberry 71' K/5 Blazer
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/71blazer>http://www.geocities.com/71blazer</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Rasberry on 07/03/01 05:25 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

Tach,
    Before you tear anything apart do this. I had lots of play on my '72 (76,000mi). A spring/alignment shop showed me that the rivets loosened up on the front left spring bracket, where it mounts to the chassis. With the engine off have someone work the steering wheel back and forth while you look at that bracket. You'll see the bracket move if the rivets are bad. Also you'll probably see oblong wear marks on the bracket and chassis around the rivets. E-mail me if you find this to be the problem and I can send you details on how to proceed w/ the repair. Good luck! madbishop@msn.com

You can't beat going Topless!

4. Ressurection

Ressurection 1/2 ton status

by the way, after that repair my steering wheel play was gone completely.

You can't beat going Topless!

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Check drag link my 87 had some play drag link ends fixed it.

6. MikeS

MikeS Registered Member

Also check out the rag joint which couples the steering box to the column. I found mine just about torn in half. Amazing the difference replacing that made!

Mike

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

You can adjust some of the slop buy turning in the allen head screw on top of your gear box.
    Caution!! Don't over tighten that adjuster you will overheat your steering box.
    You want to rock your steering wheel back and forth with out turning the grear box output shaft. This is the slop that screw will minimize. do NOT remove all the slop just tighten it to the point you have just a little bit of slop left and leave it there. Make small turns to that screw and check slop inbetween each turn.
    Hope this helps

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099</A>

8. 70Dave

70Dave Registered Member

Also check your front crossmember. Mine had the rivet heads sheared off, allowing the frame to twist slightly. Front bumper also acts to hold frame together I am told. I have reduced my slop by about 75%. Still working on the other 25%.

9. blazerman

blazerman Registered Member

I had almost 1/2 turn of play in my wheel when I first got the truck. Found a few things that might be worth checking. The bushing between the colum and the steering box. Mine was worn out and not holding the two tight. Drag link ends. Mine were worn and a new set really helped. But my big problem was the spring pack centering bolt was sheered of on the drivers side allowing the axle to slide back and forth instead of turning. Hope this helps!

10. greatwhite

greatwhite Registered Member

good question, i needed this help also