Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering wheel puller

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tecton, Mar 28, 2004.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

mine will 100% absolutely not come off

i bent the hell out of the one autozone gave me (shhh)

how do i get this thing off short of torching it?!!!

2. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

that's strange. . .mine came right off.
    there was a 13/16 nut holding it on then the puller pulled it right off.
    then there is a lockring covering the plate under the steering wheel.

do you have a stock steering wheel? or maybe an aftermarket one? only things i could think would be that either there's some sort of lockring sill on there, maybe if the steering wheel center is aluminum then the steel shaft and the aluminum center bonded. i had a bike do that with the headset before.

good luck

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not to insult your intelligence, but you did take the nut AND that little clip off right? (I would think the puller would destroy the clip anyways)

I've only been able to get one or two off by hand, but I just grabbed the wheel along the rim, and jerked as hard as I possibly could, and did it on the opposite side, and repeat a few times. Even if you can't get it off that way, it MIGHT help to loosen it up. Be careful of the tilt mechanism though, sometimes this will make it "slip", and you might break something in the column.

A better variation of the above to try is put the nut back on, but just enough so the threads on the shaft AREN'T exposed. Hit the nut with a hammer while pulling hard on the rim of the wheel.

Odd that it is on that tight, does it move at ALL? I'm thinking that if it will go DOWN the shaft a bit, perhaps you could also use a hammer to hit the center hub section, thus breaking whatever bond there is, then use the puller on it.

4. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

lol

its an after market wheel

and the adapter is aluminum