Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering wheel question (disassembled)

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by MudFrog, May 30, 2002.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

This is all coming second hand to me so bare with me and ask questions if you need to. My dad has a 93 Z71 and the horn stopped working. He took the steering wheel off and there was a coil spring back behind it (he said it looks a lot like a valve spring) that popped out. Well he got the horn working but he can't the spring back in to save his life. Is there a special tool or does anyone have any insight on how to get that bad boy back in there so he can remount the steering wheel. He also said he tried to just leave it out but there was way too much slop in the steering wheel.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, you need a special tool to reinstall the lock plate. That spring goes in behind the lock plate, then the tool presses it into place and then you re-install the wire C-clip that holds it on the shaft. Most auto parts stores have the lock plate installation tool in stock for $15 or less. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Hey... I just told him.. thanks for the help!