Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

steering wheel security systems

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JBOY, Aug 11, 2001.

1. JBOY

JBOY Registered Member

Hey all,

I noticed in the pic from hot august nights, the one of 1FNHIK5's dash, he appears to use the Grant steering wheel security system, the one where you remove your steering wheel and take it with you. I like that idea, except for carrying around the wheel part. I vaguely remember seeing on one of the TNN programs (trucks or crank & chrome??) that there is another similar device, except where you add some kind of device to the steering column and a key locks the steering column into usable mode, then when the key is removed, the steering wheel spins freely, eliminating steering of the vehicle without having to remove the wheel? anyone else see this and know what it's called/where to get it??

I currently have the club along with a hidden electrical cut-off switch. A friend's mustang convertible was just stolen this past week, which is why i'm interested in finding out what else is being done by others to protect their trucks. I'm leaning toward the grant wheel removal system, unless anyone has a lead on this other device.

thanks, and lock that truck!
    J

JBOY

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Don't know anything about that steering wheel thing.....but just wanted to say "Hi!" JBOY.....

It's been a while since I've seen you around these parts.....musta been all those graduations and vacations??

-Greg72

3. Crushergmc

Crushergmc 1/2 ton status

Don't use the club! A hacksaw and 15- 30 seconds will get you a distroyed steering wheel. The switch is a good idea though. It should delay a professional jacker about 1 minute but the street punk would probably give up.

"KEEP IT DOWN"
    70 Jimmy, 454, 2wd
    56 GMC, Big Window

4. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

If you have a column shift you could get yourself a coulumn lock. Would be better than the club anyway.

Chris =)
    www.roostr84.coloradok5.com

5. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I had the Grant removable steering wheel kit on my lowered 2WD street truck. It worked well if you don't mind carrying your wheel with you everywhere. After about 2 years I started having a little slack between the gears for the wheel. When I turned, the wheel would slip about 1/2 inch before it actually engaged. It was annoying, but not unsafe.

Diesel

Everything's bigger in Texas!

6. clarkekent

clarkekent Registered Member

I have the Grant removable steering wheel, but instead of taking it with me I lock it up in my Tuffy Console. The wheels come in different sizes and I have the smaller (maybe smallest) one. The only time I take it out of the truck is when I'm at home.
    Even if someone was able to get the wheel they would have no way to get it back on the column without the key.

7. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

The only downfall to that is if someone screws you like they did my buddy. I had a friend with a Ford Lightning, he had the removable wheel, and locked it in his toolbox in the bed up his truck. One night while he was at work someone stole his toolbox. Somehow they actually pulled it up hard enough to break the 3/8 bolts that bolted it to the bed. He was left at work with no steering wheel. He had to go to Auto zone and buy another grant steering wheel, remove the locking kit and install the new wheel straight onto the column.

Diesel

Everything's bigger in Texas!

8. 1 FN HI K5

1 FN HI K5 1/2 ton status

I know what you are talking about but i cant remember the name or who sold that. I didn't buy that one because the locking cylinder is week you can take a dent puller screw it into the key switch and BAM your investment is gone. just as fast as the club
    I sometimes lock the steering wheel to the front seat bracket with a kryptonite lock or carry it in my backpack or in my hand
    you should see the look's i get. 1 FN HI K5

9. JBOY

JBOY Registered Member

yea, the back pack is what i visualized. the kryp lock under the seat is a good tip too, esp for short trips. my K10 that was stolen in 1995 happened while i was playing tennis, in about a 90 minute window, so with the convertible, i don't even like to take it to golf or any place i have to leave it for a while, except work. i guess carrying it sure beats having it gone. thanks for the ideas.

JBOY

10. bitchin4x4

bitchin4x4 1/2 ton status

I like the idea of latching to the seat!

I actually do it to the roll cage but ...

I really don't need to worry about that in my area, as most of the people out here look at me like I am crazy, "hey man... why you raise your vehicle, your suppose to lower it man!" ha ha. I look at them the same way, too each his own.

If it ain't broke, break it!

11. greatwhite

greatwhite Registered Member

yeah, i just moved to downtown san jose, so i am little worried. so i decided to go with a 110 dollar allarm system (vipers-rattler) with a starter kill. Now, i HATE alarm sirens and further more dont believe in them so the siren went in the trash. The starter kill would be usless also. so, since the alarms starter kill is just an open and close curcuit i switched it over to an ignition kill. i then kept all of the wires and alarm unit under the hood and locked the hood down with a thick kriptonite cable and lock. i thought about just installing a $3.00 switch under the cab to do the same, but if i could find it a thief could also. so wireless was the way to go.

12. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

A hack saw would make quik work out of your steering wheel if you Kryptonite it to your seat bracket or worse, to roll bar( Just like beating the club!). Just .02 more cents.

[image]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1328774&a=9975627&p=33244094[/image]