Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering wheel won't turn when it's cold...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben Malinski, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

Steering wheel won\'t turn when it\'s cold...

I'm reposting this; still no luck as to why. I have an 84 full size blazer. I'm stationed in South Korea, it's COLD here! When first starting my vehicle in the morning or even after sitting a few hours, the steering wheel won't budge for at least 10-15 minutes until the engine warms up. I changed the power steering pump 3 times; 3 pumps can't be bad! Shops says; it's probally the steering gear. Why? When it's warm, no problems. I'm using straight ATF and it's never froze over the years. I tried loosening the allen screw on top on the gear to give it some slack and the steering wheel has lots of play but it's still stuck until the engine warms up. Surly someone in the states has experienced this problem in the winter and can help me out as to what the problem is. Thanks!

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Re: Steering wheel won\'t turn when it\'s cold...

no clue here man, sorry.

people that get good mileage aren't having any fun!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

At times when it is cold here (Memphis TN) mine does that too but to a much lesser degree. It's only done it backing out of the drive when I don't let it warm up very long. After the first initial turn it's pretty much back to normal. There may still be a very very small hesitation/sort of a tight spot in the wheel but a mile down the road it's normal. Sorry I can't give you more than that. Good luck!

Mudstud
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    76K5 6" with 33s, sb400/350/203parttime/3.73-D44/GM12bolt

4. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

I sometimes have my steering wheel lock up for a split second when it is cold. I can be driving around and then splash through lots of water and right after i hit the water and try to steer out of the big puddle or something it will lock up then go back to normal, i don't know what it is but i have experienced it also.
    Sergio

Check out my new website. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com>http://www.surg82k5.rockcrawler.com</a>

5. heaj1

heaj1 Registered Member

Something easy to check, If you haven't already. Maybe the power steering belt is slipping on the pulley when it's cold. I have noticed that water on the pulley will render my steering nearly useless for a second or two on occasion. If the pump aint pumping, you got little or no steering without muscle-ing the wheel around. Just a thought.

Jamie

6. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

In AK at the min the temps are dropping to -20 to -30F, My steering can be a bit stiff, I just thought it was the grease freezing on all the joints, like the tailgate window, which refuses to go up or down when its this cold

7. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

You might also flush the powersteering fluid also if you haven't done so.

<font color=blue>What part of my brilliance do you not understand?</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

8. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I've always replaced the pump to solve this problem. But 3 pumps are not likely to all have the same problem. The only other thought would be to flush out the ATF and use power steering fluid. Good luck!!

9. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Does it matter what position the wheels are in? Does it only lock if you leave them straight or does it happen no matter what the wheel position? As an off the wall chance have you checked your axle U-joints. The 60 I got for my blazer had one of the u-joints full of rust and water and it was very hard to turn after sitting. It is possible that you could have something like that or maybe your box is contaminated with water and it is freezing the box until the pump warms the fluid up enough to break through. I got water in my pump and box once and it was a pain to get out. I ended up siphoning the pump 5 times and refilling it let it run a minute and do it again. It keeps the mess down and will work any contaminents(sp?) out of the box as well. If that does not work then steal a box off one of the CUCV's laying around.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken