Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

When I bought my Blazer the steering wheel was off by 90 degree. I haven't fixed it yet, and it's getting anoying looking around the crossbar to see the speedo. It's got great alignment, so I wasan't to concerned. I've got alittle play in the steering. Would I be best to take it to a alignment shop ??? Or is this something that can be done in the driveway ??? I'm also thinking about putting on a aftermarket steering wheel, would that cure my problem ???

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

HELP

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Is your truck lifted? If someone lifted the truck and installed the raised steering arm and never repositioned the wheel by adjusting the drag link then thats all you will need to do. You can do this yourself at home. Depends on how much lift the truck has as to weather it has only a raised steering arm or steering arm and dropped drag link. Let me know what you have on the truck and I can help you correct the problem.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It hasn't been lifted yet. The original owner added a leaf becouse he was going to put snow plow on it, but never did. Would that have coused the problem ??? Other then a extra leaf, it's 100% factory original. I do have plans on a 6" suspension lift in the future, but probley not till next winter. I need to save up the funds for the lift, and tires.

5. 4X4HIGH

Yes, adding a leaf could have something to do with your steering wheel not being centered, but I don't think it would be off by 90 degrees. You should be able to loosen the clamp bolts on the drag link and adjust it to center the steering wheel. Make sure you first turn your steering wheel all the way to the left, then turn it all the way to the right and count how many turns it is lock to lock. Next, turn the steering wheel back half that many turns so that the steering box is centered. Now adjust the drag link so your steering wheel is centered then retighten the drag link clamp bolts.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's also got some play in the steering. I'll try what you recomened in the morning. I'm also going to try to tighten up the steering box. It's got approx. an 8th turn of wheel worth of play.

7. 4X4HIGH

Be very careful about trying to tighten up the gear box. You must do it with the box centered or you will not be able to turn the steering wheel and you might find yourself in trouble real quick.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, maybe I'll tale it to a shop. I've got family here in town that have a shop. I just hate asking them for help. If I do, then I got to help them out on thier ranch when they ask.

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Don't take it to a shop. I did my alignment last night. It was real easy. Steering wheel was off by about 70 degrees. If there are too many turns to the left, you need to make the link longer. I think It'll need to be about 18" long. There are supposed to be 1.75 turns from center to lock on each side. I posted about this last night on the main forum, check it out.