Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Wheels: What do You Have ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudslinger99, May 19, 2006.

1. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

It seems in the 73-87 pickups that the steering wheel is way to big and requires you to put in a smaller one.. I have one I need to change and trying to figure out which one to go with..

Post up what make and model you have and your opinion of it.. Pics would be nice too :D

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Here is what i went with...

[​IMG]

A bit over 15" diameter, stock is over 16" IIRC. Mostly this one is just a ton more comfortable.

this one was from a '92 K1500

Rene

3. mudslinger99

I actually thought about going with one of those because I like the one in my Z-71.. I haven't measured it yet but it seems like it still might be to big.. I thought the stock 73-87 wheels were just about 17 inches and those were about 16 inches :confused:

In my 84 the stock wheel almost hits my legs and without a tilt column the only other option is to go with about a 2 inch smaller wheel.

What was involved in putting that wheel in ?

4. smalltowncowboy

smalltowncowboy 1/2 ton status

i have a grant wheel in mine, its about 13-14 inches, it was in an old truck i bought and i just kept it when i got rid of the old truck. it looks kinda small on the truck but feels right while driving it.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't have my old wheel to measure, but did measure this one at a bit over 15". Installation is pretty easy...unbolt old wheel, pull off, install new wheel tighten nut. Mine was missing the horn junk inside so i never got the horn hooked up...but I've been told it all works if you get one that's complete.

Rene

6. mudslinger99

The horns are different so I thought you might have had to modify or change something to make it work.. But if you didn't hook it up I guess that wasn't an issue for you :doah:

I will have to measure mine because I need to go about 2 inches smaller than whatever is in there now in order to clear my legs and make it more comfortable to get in and out..

7. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Car Pictures 009.jpg

Yeah the stock is perfect for me. I have no tilt steering, it just seems to be in the right place.

Car Pictures 009.jpg

8. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I like the 89-93 style like rusty. That's what I put in my 84.

9. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

this one's like 45 bux, and it's pictured full size. 3/4" diameter! just get some JB weld and go!
    [​IMG]

:D

10. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

hell, mine is too far away from my legs. i am going to raise my seat about 2 or 3 inches just so the wheel feels correct.

11. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What is different? It looks like you have the horn pad. Is it because you don't have the wire running from the column to the pad? If so, get a cheap in-line bus fuse holder, take it apart, and take one of the wires with the copper end. Then take out the copper plunger out the column by twisting the black plastic holder. There should be the plunger, a spring, and the black holder. Remove the plunger, and insert the wire though the spring and holder. Clip on a female spade on the end of the wire. Reinstall the holder by twisting it on. Hook the wire on the spade on the horn pad. Reinstall the horn pad.

The horn system works by grounding out the horn circuit. So when you press the horn button, the hot wire grounds out on the steering shaft and complete the circuit and the horn works.

12. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Every GM truck I buy I replace the stock wheel for a Grant GT wheel. I just hate the stock wheel as they are just too big. Like driving a semi truck. The Grant GT wheels are the perfect size, IMO.

13. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

Grant GT all the way. Thick grip, easy install. Smaller diameter masks play in steering a little.

14. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

Come over to my house, I have a suburban witha tilt column and that kind of steering wheel. Not only will it tilt but it will be smaller. Or I have 2 of the larger wheels on tilt columns too. I don't know if I like the big skinny ones or the small fat ones though.... Current girl is tall and skinny though... :haha: Guess I like them both for different reasons. Definitly liked my 85 K5's fixed/stationary and ratty seats (much more cusiony and comfortable) of my 90 Jimmy's reclining seats.

15. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

I only use the stock steering wheels, dont like the smaller steering wheels, they feel like gokart steering wheels. I do like the 89-93 steering wheels. I have one in my 89 burb and if I found a good deal on one I'd put it in my 85.

16. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

17. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I have the same steering wheel in my 75 burb as Rene has in his rig but a Bowtie version. I got it out of a 91 chevy van. Horn guts were there and everything hooked up without any modifying....works great and I love it :thumb:

18. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

i love my big ass steering wheel, gives me a little bit more leverage when steering

19. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Flat Black Grant GT, I love it

20. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

a lot of them fit..

I put a Cavalier steering wheel on my 74 K20,after installing "custom" bucket seats, the OEM wheel was cutting a groove in my legs..it fit perfectly and the horn worked fine too..

I found while junkyard shopping nearly all GM steering wheels share the same splines and colum diameter..many Fords fit too!..lots to choose from..:crazy: