Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering Wheels?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dvldog 70k5, Nov 21, 2004.

1. dvldog 70k5

dvldog 70k5 Registered Member

Hey guys I want to put in a aftermarket wheel on my 70k5. I was lookin at the Grant GT Series but I am not sure if a 14" diameter wheel is to small. What do you think?

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I personally like a big wheel, more leverage, and to me better control. I'm tryin to find a decent stocker for my 70 K5 cause the sun ate mine up. You at Pendleton? I spent a few years there back in the 70's.

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

3onthetree,
    I agree with you. I just bought a wheel(stock) from a guy on the other site. Its in great shape. It is too big though
    to have without a tilt column. I feel like i'm driving a bus! Anyways, I'll probably change to a smaller after market wheel, or if I can find a tilt column(not a van one) then I'll keep it.

jakeslim

4. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

i am running a 14" momo in my truck and no problems!

5. dvldog 70k5

dvldog 70k5 Registered Member

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey guys I want to put in a aftermarket wheel on my 70k5. I was lookin at the Grant GT Series but I am not sure if a 14" diameter wheel is to small. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I always liked the "retro" look of the wooden 3-spoke wheels from the late 60's musclecars. Grant makes one for around $100 and IIRC it's about 14". Unfortunately, the fit and finish are about what you'd expect for a $100 wheel (lousy!) so when I bought mine I sanded it all down, improved the finger grips on the backside and then re-stained and urethaned it. THEN it looked nice and was great to have. Not as big as the stocker, but not so small that it was annoying.

Looks like you already made a new selection, but for those others of you considering a wheel swap, it might be something to think about.