Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Steering whine Need help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mpascino, Nov 3, 2001.

1. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

Did my cross over stuff last night..... Seemed to work okay except for the whine from the steering pump, I believe there is air in the lines for the steering box. What is the best way to try and bleed the system. I use ATF in my steering box. After a few minutes of driving I lose all powersteering abilities. Any ideas?
    Mike

The jeep eater ......jeep it's what's for dinner[​IMG]

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Have you tried using power steering fluid? It seems way different than ATF...maybe thats the problem.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    In past my friends have used ATF in there power steering and it has always worked fine. Ive even seen mechanics do it so i dont think that is your poblem. I have never done it though. Check and see if your belt is loose. Might be slipping whenver you get some stress back from the power steering pully. The way most people bleed power steering is to put it up on jack stands turn it lock to lock slowly a few times while the moter is running. Just dont hold it against the lock and it should bleed. Oh, and add fluid as needed.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It was just a thought...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

To bleed the system, jack up the front of the truck and slowly turn the wheels from lock to lock while the engine is idling. 2 or 3 trips from side to side should do it. Then shut the engine off, wait a few minutes for any foam to settle down in the resevoir, then top it off. Repeat the process until you don't get foam any more.

ATF might work, but it sure doesn't look like power steering fluid.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...